How do I make a smooth camera that looks like an SNES?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Simple and easily editable template for a dynamic camera that zooms in and out based on how far apart the players are.
  • Hello forum.

So currently i am making an generic platformer, already have the basic stuff, movement, animations, collision etc.

Recently i added a turbo mechanic kind of like SMB that when you hold a B he runs faster, i noticed that the background blurs and since the game is playing near 60 fps this shouldn't happen, also when if i turn off the camera and i just move my guy around he does get kind of blurry because of the speed.

I want to know if there is a way to make a smooth camera with no blur at all to help the player see things better at higher speeds, does anybody know how can i do this?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You could try turning on pixel rounding? I've found that sometimes things display all blurry when at sub-pixel positions.

• I'm guessing you're talking about parallax backgrounds..

Try creating a new layer for the background, put your background image on it and then change the "parallax" property. Try using values like 50,50 or lower.

• Pixel rounding won't fix the problem and it's not a parallax background problem.

If i turn down the scrolling from the main character and i run around in a room the character will blur (the same way like the background blurs), his max speed is 600.

I don't want anything to blur at high speeds like in Sonic i think this is an Construct's default but i can't find a way to change this.

• So this is not possible on Construct?

• [quote:x9yn9s4h] i noticed that the background blurs and since the game is playing near 60 fps this shouldn't happen, also when if i turn off the camera and i just move my guy around he does get kind of blurry because of the speed.

I could think of several possibilities.

Could you try run your game on other monitor screens? Some of the old monitors render things in such a way that gives you a constant motion blur. Hardware Mouse motion blur, anyone?

OR... this is just biological - an illusion your eyes are perceiving because of the objects are moving at high speed. Since you mentioned the background got blurred when you run at high speed, but the player will be blurred if the camera is turned off, along with mentioning everything blurs in Sonic at high speed but you didn't anything about blurring in SMB, I think this is likely to be the case.

The reason that the background is blurry in both Sonic and your C2 game is because your character is moving so fast (while being centered) that the background goes through from side to side quickly and your eyes couldn't keep up with those quick visual changes. When you disabled your camera, only the character is blurred, because the character is now the one moving quickly on the screen.

The games (Sonic and any C2 games) do not render anything blurry here but because those frames are being rendered at 60 fps and have visual updates moving so fast on the screen that your eyes are playing tricks with you.

Is what am I thinking correct?

• Ok wave your hand back and forth fast in front of your face. It looks blurry. At high speeds any game will look blurry console made or Construct2 made. Its your eyes and how your brain reacts to speed, no Construct2 fault. Sorry.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)