How do I go about making a game like..

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your own platformer for both the web and mobile easy with this Santas Platformer Template, FULLY DOCUMENTED
  • Not sure if this is the place for it or not, but have you guys seen the game Jotun? That's made in unity? That's really the kind of game I want to make but construct 2 is my preferred engine, (unity is just a bit too complex for me), and I can understand the basics of making a top down action game, but do you think construct 2 is capable of such a game?

• are you refering to this game ?http://store.steampowered.com/app/323580/

if so then yes it is possible but it will take alot of hand drawn expert and knowing what kind and if you are worried about camera control dont this game look like its a 2d hand drawn just used clever 3d to 2d hand drawn realism. Basically it comes down to controls, variable, and Good art. It is up to you how you see the creation of your own hand. but first before you fire up construct two. Get a notepad write down the game what kind of action do you want, what sort of environment do you want, and once you got an idea then start making a state machine on your notepad. And then work on the event and action before the animation or art. then next add in what you want. If you want a good looking game like Jotun. Then either learn to hand draw frame by frame or ask a gifted friend.

Anything is possible with contruct two.

just look at some of the epic made game by contruct two.

• Jotun is very polished, but I don't see why you couldn't do something like that in Construct. A lot of the stuff that looks 3D is just clever parallaxing - and in terms of the actual gameplay I don't see anything particularly outlandish. Get a really good artist on board and anything can be made to look ultra-swish.

• are you refering to this game ?http://store.steampowered.com/app/323580/

if so then yes it is possible but it will take alot of hand drawn expert and knowing what kind and if you are worried about camera control dont this game look like its a 2d hand drawn just used clever 3d to 2d hand drawn realism. Basically it comes down to controls, variable, and Good art. It is up to you how you see the creation of your own hand. but first before you fire up construct two. Get a notepad write down the game what kind of action do you want, what sort of environment do you want, and once you got an idea then start making a state machine on your notepad. And then work on the event and action before the animation or art. then next add in what you want. If you want a good looking game like Jotun. Then either learn to hand draw frame by frame or ask a gifted friend.

Anything is possible with contruct two.

just look at some of the epic made game by contruct two.

quote]

Jotun is very polished, but I don't see why you couldn't do something like that in Construct. A lot of the stuff that looks 3D is just clever parallaxing - and in terms of the actual gameplay I don't see anything particularly outlandish. Get a really good artist on board and anything can be made to look ultra-swish.

Yea it was more so gameplay wise. As far as the hand drawn art. It's honestly not my style, but I do love the gameplay. That's what I would be striving for, top down action almost boss rush like gameplay of huge bosses

• totally possible... its just a normal top-down view game.. the simplest game engine you can make in c2 platformers are harder lol.... just your looking at countless hours of graphics to be drawn... the game engine itself its pretty easy to be made in c2 if you have the graphics ready... and other assets.

• I think the hard part would be coding the Enemy Ai as if i recall they all have different movesets to avoid. But that really just animation making contact with the specific area you want the boss to do .

• > are you refering to this game ?http://store.steampowered.com/app/323580/

>

> if so then yes it is possible but it will take alot of hand drawn expert and knowing what kind and if you are worried about camera control dont this game look like its a 2d hand drawn just used clever 3d to 2d hand drawn realism. Basically it comes down to controls, variable, and Good art. It is up to you how you see the creation of your own hand. but first before you fire up construct two. Get a notepad write down the game what kind of action do you want, what sort of environment do you want, and once you got an idea then start making a state machine on your notepad. And then work on the event and action before the animation or art. then next add in what you want. If you want a good looking game like Jotun. Then either learn to hand draw frame by frame or ask a gifted friend.

>

> Anything is possible with contruct two.

>

> just look at some of the epic made game by contruct two.

> quote]

Jotun is very polished, but I don't see why you couldn't do something like that in Construct. A lot of the stuff that looks 3D is just clever parallaxing - and in terms of the actual gameplay I don't see anything particularly outlandish. Get a really good artist on board and anything can be made to look ultra-swish.

Yea it was more so gameplay wise. As far as the hand drawn art. It's honestly not my style, but I do love the gameplay. That's what I would be striving for, top down action almost boss rush like gameplay of huge bosses

Gauntlet like too maybe

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • totally possible... its just a normal top-down view game.. the simplest game engine you can make in c2 platformers are harder lol.... just your looking at countless hours of graphics to be drawn... the game engine itself its pretty easy to be made in c2 if you have the graphics ready... and other assets.

Really? This is def inspiring news lol.

• I think the hard part would be coding the Enemy Ai as if i recall they all have different movesets to avoid. But that really just animation making contact with the specific area you want the boss to do .

Yea they do I think, I'm going for a monster hunter feel, just big bosses that you go out into a play area to find and fight

• You can make potentially anything in Construct 2. It gives you the tools, the only thing you need is the time, patience, and skills to pull a polished game off. Games like The Next Penelope are perfect examples of this.

So yes, you can do something like that. But it's going to take a lot of work. Best of luck!

• dont get scared of the AI ... remember there is not yet a real "AI" out there but a pattern recognition that is built by you.. so you tell the "AI" what to do when something comes near it or what happens when it should act as idle ... all those are easy stuff.. C2 like systems are the future ... eases the job for you so you have to focus on the graphics and other aspects of the game. while programming in events might get challenging sometimes is nothing in comparison of a normal coder/programmer wold do... that is type tens/hundreds/even thousands of lines of code so he can move a square on a 8 way direction... where in c2 you have all that already built... and u just link them ... you will see later as you learn using it ...you will end up loving it

• You can make potentially anything in Construct 2. It gives you the tools, the only thing you need is the time, patience, and skills to pull a polished game off. Games like The Next Penelope are perfect examples of this.

So yes, you can do something like that. But it's going to take a lot of work. Best of luck!

Yea, I said the same thing about that game. Know any other examples of great polished games made in this engine? The site only features 3, that could just mean it's not as popular as game maker or the other engines but game maker has an extensive library of games made, I know dozens of devs use construct 2, so what gives?

• dont get scared of the AI ... remember there is not yet a real "AI" out there but a pattern recognition that is built by you.. so you tell the "AI" what to do when something comes near it or what happens when it should act as idle ... all those are easy stuff.. C2 like systems are the future ... eases the job for you so you have to focus on the graphics and other aspects of the game. while programming in events might get challenging sometimes is nothing in comparison of a normal coder/programmer wold do... that is type tens/hundreds/even thousands of lines of code so he can move a square on a 8 way direction... where in c2 you have all that already built... and u just link them ... you will see later as you learn using it ...you will end up loving it

yea I'll definitely keep this updated, I've used MMF2 years ago, so yea I should have some sort of understanding, conventional coding just seems kinda archaic at this point because of the difficulty to make something as simple as what is able to be made in 5 mins in these engines, vs unity or game maker, the events option also teaches you coding in a way too.

• There are actually quite a few threads dedicated to showing off dev's work:

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)