How do I fix my game not loading in browser

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the Construct Starter Kit Collection and the Student Workbook from the Workshop.
  • bronzegames.byethost32.com/runANDjump1/

here is a link to one of my games that is in super early development, I upload it to show some friends and stuff and get feedback through my development process, as well as thoroughly testing the game. I was uploading this to my hosting website to check if my highscore implementation was working alright, when I noticed my browser (both chrome ad IE explorer) wouldn't load it, I would open the link and it wouldn't load, just a black screen forever.

Is this the same for everyone else? Is there a fix?

• What does the browser error console tell you?

Are there errors when trying to run your game?

• I don't know how to access the browser error, nothing pops up its just a black screen

I can run the game in preview mode, and they were working on earlier today, I have no idea D:

• In Firefox, you would access the error console via CTRL+SHIFT+J.

Just use Google to find the relevant keys for whatever browser you are using.

It's more than likely a problem with the hosting site. Try a different site, such as offered by Dropbox, Google or Microsoft.

• Okay, so I got Mozilla and opened up the error menu like you said using the shortcut key press.

imgur.com/LRgCQbJ

it seems as though its referencing on an "set invisible" action that's in the game? Could this possibly be it? I have an overlay that fades out to create an effect of a fade-in and fade-out on the beginning and end of my layout. However, the craziest thing I notice is that it doesn't even open up the "Construct 2 loading" screen, when I click on the link it just takes me to a black screen D:

Also b6322ea360193f948a48020eab0bf8d6ba4214ab.googledrive.com/host/0B5qygBr6uRzXbEprNldRR0pBUUk/index.html

^^ the google drive link I have recently made as well for the game

• Your game works in IE11, but it's not working in Firefox 43.04.

Since it works in IE then it is obviously a browser issue.

I haven't got Chrome, but if it works in chrome, then it's an issue with FF.

• I have used Microsoft Edge (IE) and it seems to play them. I know this is very tedious and a waste of your time. I can confirm FF and Google Chrome DO NOT work.

Can you think of any possible fix for this? Is it possibly something that's in my game preventing this therefore I can fix primarily from the engine?

• In the browser error console, it's complaining about the use of the 'let' keyword, which I think was a mistake from an old beta release. Are you keeping your C2 versions up-to-date? Which version are you on? It should have been fixed a while ago.

• In the browser error console, it's complaining about the use of the 'let' keyword, which I think was a mistake from an old beta release. Are you keeping your C2 versions up-to-date? Which version are you on? It should have been fixed a while ago.

I know that I am behind a few updates for sure and haven't updated, I dunno why; guess I started learning from the update I got and never updated since I was pretty comfortable with the state the engine is in (still a bad excuse).

One thing I am worried about is being able to carry on my project after updating, I am pretty proud of what I am making right now and I'm not too sure if I can open up my project within an updated version; or does this feature only apply when opening a project on a previous version?

Either way, thank you for the help (and thanks for the tutorials you have written to help people like me get started with the basic functionalities on this engine)!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Construct 2's backwards compatibility is excellent and thousands of users regularly upgrade without issues. Conversely, staying on old versions means you run in to issues we've already fixed, like you have in this thread. So actually I think it is more risky to not upgrade. Which version are you using? You can always back up your project and test the latest version without risking your project.

• Construct 2's backwards compatibility is excellent and thousands of users regularly upgrade without issues. Conversely, staying on old versions means you run in to issues we've already fixed, like you have in this thread. So actually I think it is more risky to not upgrade. Which version are you using? You can always back up your project and test the latest version without risking your project.

I'm unsure about the version I am using, but I assume that what you are saying is the issue. I'm not far from the most recent version and when I get on my PC, I will backup my project and attempt this Thank you very much!

The only possible point I could make about it NOT being it, is that it was working originally, I could upload to my host, reupload the same project to update it over and over and it wouldn't stop working, it only seemed to happen after developing a local storage high score system and other games such as my Super Mario Bros. remake still works on the host, which was developed on the very same version. This is only a small point though and I assume that what you are saying is correct, if this issue is not fixed by the time I update and everything, I will come back to this thread and post my .capx etc.

Thank you very much both of you guys for all the help!

After debugging and stuff, found out that the error for not being able to correctly play on the Web browsers or export and launch a nw.js file was due to the "audio" object type included in my game. Any possible reasons for this? Does this mean I can't use audio?

• After debugging and stuff, found out that the error for not being able to correctly play on the Web browsers or export and launch a nw.js file was due to the "audio" object type included in my game. Any possible reasons for this? Does this mean I can't use audio?

What type of audio file are you referring to? (reference: https://www.scirra.com/manual/52/import-audio)

Are you referring to a MIME type error from the server?

A server needs to be configurred to recognize a certain MIME type - see the following:https://www.scirra.com/manual/168/mime-types.

• I'm pretty sure it was a typical .WAV file to play a jump sound and then it created an OGG file as well, due to web browsers using different formats of sound available. I have no idea what error I am reffering to unfortunately, all I know was when I deleted the sound object from my project, I was able to export and correctly open up .exe files and succesfully load my game on various free hosting websites.

• You can check which version you're using in the About dialog.

The bug was indeed with the Audio object, but there's really no point trying to work around it, we already fixed it long ago - just update C2!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)