How do I do an event that could change the Sampling setting?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
  • I want to make a check box setting so that when a user ticks it, it enables Linear instead of Point Sampling.

I have searched everywhere on the construct knowledge-base and could not find such example.

Ps. this gives the user the ability to chose between performance and quality.

• Up!

• Up!

Not to necro an old thread, but I'd absolutely love this feature as well, and it'd open up the ability to run my game in low-quality settings on Intel GPU chips. Otherwise, I'm basically eliminating a good chunk of the OSX market, where even a late 2014-era Macbook Pro can't run a 2D game because of the screen's high resolution - with C2 providing no way to change the screen resolution in the nw.js app - because of its underpowered Intel GPU.

Ashley, I know you've addressed this before, but is this something that's a potential feature in the near future? Even if the renderer needs to be reinitialized to change the sampling, this seems like a great way to address some of the issues with weak GPUs in even higher-end laptops like the Macbooks or a Surface Pro 3 while not having to reduce the overall quality a game is possible of achieving visually on systems with better GPUs. If you need real-world examples of why and how this would be useful, just say the word.

• If you need real-world examples of why and how this would be useful, just say the word.

I always need that. That is mandatory. I have no evidence that the sampling mode impacts performance in any meaningful way. Can you provide data that backs up this assumption/assertion?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > If you need real-world examples of why and how this would be useful, just say the word.

>

I always need that. That is mandatory. I have no evidence that the sampling mode impacts performance in any meaningful way. Can you provide data that backs up this assumption/assertion?

It's a combination of:

1) Visual Quality - Rendering in low-res and upscaling when the window is small (640x360) and how it looks with linear v. point sampling. It looks horribly blurry when linear sampling is turned on and the quality is set to low, and like pixel art when it's set to point sampling. Leaving the sampling as point when rendering in high quality results in overly crispy art with heavily aliased edging that's visible even when viewing at 2560x1440.

It'd be a shame to have to either deal with blurry visuals when the game is set to low quality to better support low-end Intel HD graphics chips or deal with crispy visuals in high-res on computers with more capable GPUs. Having two separate .exes for the game isn't an especially attractive option when we're talking about supporting multiple platforms and potential sales channels for a commercial game. To savvy end-users, that would just look sloppy, and they'd be right about that.

2) There's definitely a difference in FPS when using linear v. point sampling on Intel GPUs. It doesn't seem to be an issue elsewhere outside of a few years-old nVidia cards (460, 470) that still receive driver updates so out of date drivers are most likely not the culprit. I can send you my game's project files so you can see it for yourself when running on any Intel HD chip (I've tested on Intel HD, Iris, 4000, 4400, 5000 chip variants), but I can't publish it in the forums because it's a commercial product. Should I send to the support email address?

---

Also, and this is a bit off-topic but still hits upon the kind of configuration options computer gamers expect, a VSync action in the nw.js object would be pretty nice too .

• I also think that a way to change sampling is absolutely necessary.

I'm starting to convert my CC game to C2 and I was planning to let player choose between 2 display modes:

1) 1:1 Pixel art with no effects or changes (it only looks good using point sampling):

2) Stretched, cropped and full of effects image (to simulate a CRT screen, it only looks good using linear sampling):

I'm doing this because my game tries to simulate a NES title - and these Nintendo games were displayed with a different/stretched aspect ratio on televisions:

I prefer to play using option #2 (linear/filtered) but many players asked for a "pure", unaltered display.

I wanted to please people who already bought my CC game on Steam with a big update - but if C2 can't do this (among other problems like lack of gamepad vibration) I'll probably think twice before converting an entire game to this engine.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)