How do I - Do a Layer Jump?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Jump on alphabets in the proper order and reach the sun!
  • Not sure what the actual term is called, but it's a feature (seen in Shantae: Risky's Revenge) where the player can jump from one layer to the next (with the exception of the background and hud layer). You can see it in action here. I'm not sure if you can do this with a tile map object, but I think that using separate sprites might be better. Now, it might be on a different layer, it might not be. It could be all one layer by using fancy effects and what not. However, personally, I think top layer is invisible and what you see behind the current layer is the bottom one. As you move to the back layers, the current one becomes invisible. As you jump forward, the previous layer becomes the background layer and the top layer becomes the current layer. As far as collision is handled, everything is interacted on the current layer. This all speculation, so I apologize if I'm not making sense. :/ I'm not that good at explaining things.

• You could do this in many ways..

Most important part would be disabling the solid behaviour on the layer you are not on..

One of the things to look out for might be the enormous amount of graphic memory needed, but you could indeed solve a lot of that with the tilemap object and re-using a lot of sprites (only drawing them when needed)..

• Yeah, I was aware of the memory issue with using too many graphics. The thing about tile-maps is that you can't really click through the alpha spaces. :V

• Yeah, I was aware of the memory issue with using too many graphics. The thing about tile-maps is that you can't really click through the alpha spaces. :V

Click through alpha spaces?

What do you mean?

• Clicking on the empty spots in a tilemap doesn't result in the object under the tilemap getting a click.

This looks really interesting! I guess everything above the current layer is invisible, and everything below has it's scale and parallax altered depending on how deep it is. I don't imagine having any serious resource issues with less than half a dozen layers, but you will have to build it and find out. I look forward to your progress!

• Clicking on the empty spots in a tilemap doesn't result in the object under the tilemap getting a click.

This looks really interesting! I guess everything above the current layer is invisible, and everything below has it's scale and parallax altered depending on how deep it is. I don't imagine having any serious resource issues with less than half a dozen layers, but you will have to build it and find out. I look forward to your progress!

Strange, for it does when I test it..

The tilemap itself also registers the click, but that shouldn't be an issue..

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ah well nvm I thought azu was on to something. I can't wait to see what you produce!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)