How do I come up with a unique idea?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
  • Megaman, you could shoot.

That was an example, of unique games, instead of just like mario where its the same thing : just doing platforming.

I really want to know some strategies of how I could come up with an easy-to-make game like this.

I came up with a game where you're a robot that has to change color of his laser to shoot that colored blocks to get to the winning block and you're timed, but that would be to complicated.

Any help?

Thanks.

• I came up with a game where you're a robot that has to change color of his laser to shoot that colored blocks to get to the winning block and you're timed, but that would be to complicated.

What would be too complicated about that?

I don't think anyone can teach you how to come up with an idea..

• LittleStain

I would have to program the laser so it cuts off at a certain block, and so it recognizes EACH and every color..

but now that I think of it I'll try making that again.

Thanks

• You could try to mix and modify different games to obtain a whole new game or you could also transform a real thing into a game like a swimming game or others and i think your robot game could be nice , try to make a prototype and publish it to get some feedback to improve it

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • There are very few original games. Very few people are good game designers (despite the courses being run for such), most people just cut and paste bits of other games. Miyamotos are very rare indeed.

About the only thing I would suggest is don't look at games. Look at things in the real world that aren't necessarily "gamey" and see if you can come up with an idea based around that.

Your idea, on the face of it, doesn't sound complicated.

• Thanks paulscottrobson

that really helped

• If you want to post or PM me some more detail about your game I could give you some ideas how to go about it. People who are good at game ideas aren't always programmers, though they need to know what is actually doable in practice..

• paulscottrobson It's just a game where you're a robot, you press a button to change you're color, you need to have the color of the block you want to shoot to destroy it. If you shoot a block thats NOT the color of your robot, you lose, and you're timed, so lets say level 21, you'd have 1 minute to complete level 21.

And you need to dig through the blocks to be able to shoot a small golden block (that works for all colors when you shoot) to win the level.

• (you shoot lasers fyi)

• I just do "What If" scenarios.

What if Flies couldnt fly?

What if sharks grew legs?

What if caterpillars had guns?

What if hippies were violent?

Most games start with a "What If" because it helps to disassociate with reality, allowing for unique, over the top games

Btw, if you use one of those random ideas up there, an honorable mention would be nice

• Dammit, , my next game was about a violent hippie fly with guns mounted to his shark legs that shoot giant caterpillars.

There really is no such thing as a new idea is there...

• i would recommend just going into the woods or just anywhere and just look around you and you will spark an idea using whatever you looked or if you have a hot tub or just anywhere where you can relax and think thats the two places i find my ideas from

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)