How do I access windows registry?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
  • I am pretty sure the answer is - "you can't" but I thought I would ask.

I want to export my app as an EXE for windows.

However, I need to send information to the application about progress etc and receive information back from the exe.

I was hoping to be able to read information out of Windows Registry to do this. i.e., read from the registry and later write information into the registry.

Has any one had a similar challenge, how did you solve it?

• In theory, this is not possible due to security restrictions: the browser should not be able to modify the local machine.

But node-winreg could help

• MadSpy

Cheers I will look into that. While at the gym I also thought about maybe talking to a windows app using GET and POST

• Nw.js is able to launch another app( or bat file) .. depends on what you want to achieve exactly

• Should be able to do it using pure text files in the same folder as the EXE.

https://www.scirra.com/manual/162/nwjs

"The NW.js object has the ability to read and write text files on disk. To support all possible languages, it always reads and writes with the UTF-8 encoding. To ensure the plugin reads your own text files correctly, ensure they are encoded as UTF-8."

Then using something like Visual Studio Express make a "watchdog" type app running in the background that will poll the file for changes from your C2 app and send information out online.

• The textfile idea sounds like a simple solution which will work well within the current framework - I will have a go

• You can do this with Java, but I am not sure this is a good idea. What are you writing to the registry for?

• gumshoe2029 i have gone with the text files system. Our software suite writes out the student's progress and current score into the text file. The c2 app reads that info. When the student closes the app their current progress is written back to a text which is then processed by the main application.

• That seems like a task that would be safer for a server to handle.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • gumshoe2029 in this case it the app is part of a very large education suite of software that is 98% win32. The other application all use COM to communicate things like difficulty and option settings. So it has been a bit of a challenge to fit C2 applications into our current model.

I have implemented the solution and it works like a charm.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)