Drastic fps reduction on several games once menus added

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Change the size and position of everything without calculating anything!
  • Perhaps someone could help me with a now reoccurring (and frustrating!) problem:

I have two (nearly) completed games that need menus (Main Menu & Options) - both run at 60 frames per second without trouble on the iPad retina on which I am testing.

I minute I add menu and options layouts (with corresponding event sheets) into the projects,

And test them out, the fps drops to an unplayable 8-10 frames per second.

I have debugged my code, cleaned everything up best I can, including deleting unused objects and following the cpu/fps troubleshooter guide in the manual (or is it on the forum?) - some handy good to know tips there, but the problem remains and all I can figure is it seems to be adding layouts??

FYI after retesting both games minus the menus, with the clean ups, I see no improvement to fps or performance currently, one game (fast moving space shooter) seemed liked it could handle almost anything you chucked at it - 300 or so objects would still run at 60fps on iPad.

My menus and options are all prior tested, legit and pretty simple so am unsure why they interfere.

Finding the debug process tricky since all my changes seem to make no difference to the fps.

I'm sure it's straight forward... I hope.

Have a deadline for tomorrow, so any help gratefully received.

• Try to post some screenshot of the menu code and the debugger especially the system tab and the profile window. Don't think anyone can help you unless they have at least something to relate to.

• Try to post some screenshot of the menu code and the debugger especially the system tab and the profile window. Don't think anyone can help you unless they have at least something to relate to.

Thanks nimos100

Of course, I am currently taking some screen shots of the debugger now.

In the meantime, the debugger is telling me that;

On running menu (1st time) fps is 7, the cpu being 4%, only 120 objects which are stars slowly scrolling.

In game it remains at 2-7, increases to around 18fps until you die and restart (which goes back to Main Menu)

BUT!

When you return to the Main Menu, fps dramatically raises to 60, and you can restart Level1 playing on the iPad at the correct 60fps.EDIT. A maximum of 24 it seems.

• I had a lot of screen shots so chose several and zipped them, including the events for the menus, let me know if anything vital has been missed out in my confusion...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103 ... Events.zip

Thanks!

• Hmm nothing from the screenshots seems to cause any problems from what I can see. Do you get the same performance in other browsers? And are you using any effects?

Also have you tried to disable the menu events one at the time where possible to see if you can pin point where it happens?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well it runs at 60 in all browsers when debugging/previewing, it's the iPad testing that is the issue, so safari?

I have a few additive and warp effects on lasers but nothing too much. I made sure to check z order and keep all the additive and particles on same layer. Oh and several particles which are all set to destroy (object count reflects this). I have a rotating laser which looks as though it would be the first culprit but have tried with it disabled and still the fps.

I just exported (html5) and tested out. It runs at 40 in chrome now, so have lost 20 somehow. plus only 8-17 fps when on iPad. Generally 4-7 whilst the ship is "moving"! So even if it was for Web only I have a problem.

To test on iPad I download from a Dropbox link and select "add to home screen" - it's un-playable still and with chrome on the PC achieving a mere 40fps after export -I am now concerned.

I have not yet decided to pay Apple the annual fee, so cannot export with Cordova or Intel XDK. Is that correct?

Is there no way of just exporting as an iPad app (for Dev testing only) which could then be dumped into iTunes and synced to the iPad? I tried all the older tutorials on here and set show depreciated exporters but haven't found anything that may help.

Should also mention I'm still running C2 Beta 210, pretty desperate for the stable release but I started out that project using it.

• To test on iPad I download from a Dropbox link and select "add to home screen" - it's un-playable still and with chrome on the PC achieving a mere 40fps after export -I am now concerned.

I have not yet decided to pay Apple the annual fee, so cannot export with Cordova or Intel XDK. Is that correct?

Is there no way of just exporting as an iPad app (for Dev testing only) which could then be dumped into iTunes and synced to the iPad? I tried all the older tutorials on here and set show depreciated exporters but haven't found anything that may help.

Should also mention I'm still running C2 Beta 210, pretty desperate for the stable release but I started out that project using it.

Unfortunately, I have to admit that my knowledge regarding performance on IPads and Phones in C2 is not my strongest point, I don't make anything for those, so only know what others are reporting about it, and from what I understand you are not the first one to experience performance issues with those devices.

But I really don't know what you can do to fix it, but hopefully someone with mobile developing experience see the post and can give you some tips.

But if you loose 20 fps in Chrome after adding the menu, something could indicate that you are doing something wrong in that part. Especially if you say that its very simple. The screenshots you posted was that the whole menu?

• I understand, thanks for trying to help. Yes I'm putting it down to learning curve for now, ive done a few simpler games using identical events to the ones used for those menus... They all work great, it's as soon as I try to go beyond an example idea to a proper game that I run into frame rate issues.

I left out the green laser ray section (it was disabled anyway) the fps remains with or without it though.

I just meant a few simple lerping titles and simple button touch functions, nothing fancy.

I'm going to triple check the main level code again and will post anything that comes up.

Thanks again.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)