CocoonJS Portrait 30fps X Landscape 60fps

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
  • Hello,

Has anyone experienced this? I mean when you launch your project via CocoonJS Launcher in the Portrait mode it has only 30fps (even if that project is just a small blue picture and nothing more) and in the Landscape mode it has 60fps (even if the project is a finished game)

• I'm going to be brutally honest here. C2 is the easiest development kit I have ever worked with, but the export features that it promises on the main site are more or less half-truths.

C2 relies on external wrappers to export, and almost all of them have compatibility issues with C2's exported code. For example, CocoonJS apps written in the CocoonJS SDK seem to perform very well, whereas C2-exported code that is run under CocoonJS struggles with things like physics.

This is most evident in the fact that over time, performance with CocoonJS using C2-created programs has gotten worse. I wouldn't be surprised if Ludei announced over the next few weeks that they are dropping support for C2, because this is what it seems like they are doing. Every new update they post promises new features, enhancements, and performance improvements, and recently every new update has resulted in C2 programs losing performance.

• I'm pretty sure Ludei realise that Construct 2 is a large - and easily accessible - user bases for them. So I doubt they will drop support.

That aside, construct 2 produces HTML5 code - if it works in all popular browsers it should work in cocoonjs, that's the whole point. It's nothing to do with 'compatibility with Construct 2'.

• This is most evident in the fact that over time, performance with CocoonJS using C2-created programs has gotten worse. I wouldn't be surprised if Ludei announced over the next few weeks that they are dropping support for C2, because this is what it seems like they are doing. Every new update they post promises new features, enhancements, and performance improvements, and recently every new update has resulted in C2 programs losing performance.

"Drop support in the next few weeks"? Drama much?

I don't know what you're testing with because for me I've gotten double performance increase from 1.3 to 1.4 and a further increase from 1.4 to 1.4.1, both on new and old smartphones. Of course, that is Android so iOS might vary.

Also It's not Construct 2 to CocoonJS export that "struggles".

Before 1.4 we used the Web-based physics engine.

With 1.4 they also enabled, in addition, the Accelarated engine. The problem was that it was missing a few libraries that were in the Web Based engine, but those are now added.

trance

Seems like a weird issue. I'll check it out later after work. I don't remember ever encountering this.

• it is really weird... Even when I create a completely new project a put just a simple small sprite there, then export it via CocoonJS and test it on my mobile and tablet devices, it shows only 30fps max in the Portrait mode..

• anyone can help? or is it absolutely normal that portrait has 30fps (with 1 sprite) and landscape 60 fps (full game)?

• Now that we have a debugger, I suggest that you start examining your memory usage much more closely.

This past week I've cleared up several objects that were hanging around that I didn't need to use anymore.

As a friend of mine told me, CocoonJS and all these other 'easy' export solutions have made it nearly painless for you to bring your terribly-managed game onto other platforms. It's time to start optimizing for mobile instead of thinking that you can just go from PC -> phone/tablet without paying attention to resources.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • not sure what you mean by this examining memory usage...you mean in construct 2 or where .. ?

the most strange part is that those 30fps is even if my whole project is 1 simple small sprite (tested on many devices)...

• I think this is more of a CocoonJS issue if it's happening with one small sprite with no real game logic.

It could also be that CocoonJS prefers landscape mode, as most games prefer to run in that mode.

I think you are asking this question on the wrong forum - Scirra does not make CocoonJS, so if it's a CocoonJS issue then you are not likely to find very much help here.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)