[ASK] Implement Japanese Font Type

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Minimal Sprite Font with Stroke for Pixel Art games.
  • Hi everyone, i'm just wondering how to implement japanese font using Construct 2?

Is it possible with Sprite Font or other plugins for fonts?

Sprite Fonts is official plugin from Scirra on Construct 2 r136, but from description it said:

"it can be difficult to support some languages with large character sets like Chinese and Japanese."

Anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance :)

• Why is so complicated?

You should create 3 sprite fonts according to Hiragana, Katakana and kanji

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Like it says. It can be hard.

This is because there are so many characters in those languages the spritesheet will become immensely big.

If you are aware of the limitations, using spritefont shouldn't be a problem. I'ts very unlikely you'll be using all japanese characters in your game, so if you limit the spritefont to the characters you will use, it's size won't be enormous.

The problem will obviously be, knowing which characters you use in your game.

The bottom line is, yes, you can use the sprite-font, but try to only convert the characters you actually use in your game.

• I dont recommend you to use Kanji, it's really huge.

You can use Hiragana and Katakana

Hiragana

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Katakana

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? � ? ? ? ?

Use this tool,, use Arial, it can support jp characters

http://www.scirra.com/forum/sprite-font-generator-v2_topic72160.html

• It is probably better to just use a normal font installed on the system (or webfonts if you wanna put up with the load time every time). At least you can be sure that all characters will display. Sure, you can also only use Hiragana, Katakana and write everything with it like japanese kids would that just have begun learning the language, but I don't think it is optimal. Not to mention that that won't work for languages like Chinese or Korean.

What's btw the best way to suggest Construct 2 to use fonts like in html.

For example how to implement something like this:

font-family:"?????? Pro W3", "Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro",Osaka, "????", Meiryo, "MS P????", "MS PGothic", sans-serif;

(this list could probably be expanded by fonts installed on android/ios that support kanji)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)