Do an action every tick for X seconds?

• This is probably plain as day, but I am missing it.

I want my PC to walk away from the wrong direction, so I start ignoring input and every tick simulate pressing left.

How do I do this action for only 1 second?

So "every tick" simulate control left "for x Seconds".

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be greatful. But please don't tell me exactly how to do it, I learn better that way, just need a steer in the right direction.

• The problem is right there in your logic: you can't do something for 1 second every tick. Every tick is usually every 1/60th of a second.

If you want to do something for X seconds, you need to have a more specific condition, like "on keypress", "on key released" or "on collision"

• This is probably plain as day, but I am missing it.

I want my PC to walk away from the wrong direction, so I start ignoring input and every tick simulate pressing left.

How do I do this action for only 1 second?

So "every tick" simulate control left "for x Seconds".

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be greatful. But please don't tell me exactly how to do it, I learn better that way, just need a steer in the right direction.

This could work:

Variable DisableControls = 1

Every 1 seconds

..DisableControls > 0

... Subtract 1 from DisableControls

... Set controls disabled

..Else

...Set controls enabled

Then you'd have another event where you define your walk left action.

.. your event

// walk scene starts

.. DisableControls = 1

.. //trigger your walk action

• The problem is right there in your logic: you can't do something for 1 second every tick. Every tick is usually every 1/60th of a second.

If you want to do something for X seconds, you need to have a more specific condition, like "on keypress", "on key released" or "on collision"

I think you misunderstand me. If I want to have an AI move left, it has to be "simulating left" every tick to move smoothly. But how do I then get the AI/or a PC whose control is taken away from the player to stop after going left for 3 seconds?

So to be plain, I want to make something simulate pressing down left for 3 seconds. How do I do this so it moves left for 3 seconds then stops?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • So there isn't just an expression instead of "every x seconds" something like"

"for 3 seconds" do this action...

• So there isn't just an expression instead of "every x seconds" something like"

"for 3 seconds" do this action...

Nope, you could do it like I suggested, with timer variable.

• > So there isn't just an expression instead of "every x seconds" something like"

>

> "for 3 seconds" do this action...

Nope, you could do it like I suggested, with timer variable.

Yeah thanks! I might do that! Seemed pretty straight forward. I just assumed there was an expression or something hehe.

However in this case, I just put a "when collide with object stop moving" type dealie, because I wasn't running a fully featured group of AI events, but more of a scripted event.

Thanks though! I appreciate everyones input.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)