Webgl 2 and C2

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • Ashley announced on Twitter webgl2 is coming with Chrome 56. My question is: are there potential direct beneficts for us C2 devs? I don't necessarly mean new features, but also optimizations and improvements.

• Pretty much just a improvement with tiling non power of two (npot) textures. By improvement I mean it'll look better. Right now npot textures are stretched onto power of two textures before it can be tiled.

• Pretty much just a improvement with tiling non power of two (npot) textures. By improvement I mean it'll look better. Right now npot textures are stretched onto power of two textures before it can be tiled.

Seems like something at least, i hope for optimizations as well

• There has been a topic on webgl2 before where Ashley indicated what could be used by C2 from webgl2. That texture thing was the main useful thing as I recal but otherwise nothing much else. I'd have to find the topic to get a better explanation.

• Yeah, really the main thing is that you can tile and mipmap non-power-of-two textures. This means tiled backgrounds should have better quality when they're not a power-of-two size. Basically it means you can ignore power-of-two sizes since they don't matter at all any more.

There are a few other internal tweaks that can be made to help speed up texture creation and such, but they probably won't make much of a noticeable difference. It's quite a lot of effort to refactor our code to use that as well, so we probably won't do that until a future revision of the runtime.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ashley Thanks for the explanation

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)