Using Intel XDK, Crosswalk Android vs Android build

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
With this template you will learn how to use the GooglePlay Games native plugin
  • Hi,

I'm building my game via Intel XDK and I've noticed that when building with "Crosswalk Android", the apk is about 20 MB in size and I get 50-55 fps on my test phone (never mind the phone specs), and when I build using only "Android" the apk is only 1.5 MB in size and I get 60 fps most of the time.

My question is when and why to use "Crosswalk Android" and when to use "Android" build?

Cheers!

• Crosswalk works well for Android 4.0+, but the non-Crosswalk Android build will only work well with Android 5.0+, where the system webview has been updated to a similar level as Crosswalk.

• So, given that logic, if we were interested in launching a game that only runs on 5.0 and above, the straight up android export would be better?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • ...but the non-Crosswalk Android build will only work well with Android 5.0+...

or not so performance hungry games, depends heavily on the type of game i would say, try out some of my games (signature) on Android 4+ devices (only "Find the Fruits" is an crosswalk app)

• blekdar - if you only want to support Android 5.0+ devices, then the non-Crosswalk version will save you the extra 20mb filesize Crosswalk adds. Android 5.0+ is currently about 12% of all Android devices according to Google's stats, but it should increase to the majority over time.

• My Alcatel on android 4.1.1. runs my game good with android export, but when I export with Crosswalk, the game flashes and is unplayable... Is there a specific export option (when exporting from C2 I use targeted device "Any" as an option, and in IntelXDK i use Crosswalk 12...

• Still no luck, tried most of the build options and export options in C2, when I export .apk and install it on Android 4.1.1. the game loads but starts flashing, or sometimes I get black screen...

• Ashley

I have a game installed on Android 4.4 using normal Android build but it has no sound output. Is it caused by the build or is it because of my device?

• Android devices in general update to the latest OS very very slowly. It's only mostly through natural install of new devices.

Supporting 4+ should be your target and NOT 5+.

• So the audio not outputting properly is due to Android version? Everything else works fine on my Android 4.4 except for the audio.

• I thought that was due to a XDK bug which was resolved recently.

The audio thing is an iOS9 bug.

• mrneko - did you build with Crosswalk or just the plain Cordova? Crosswalk should work on Android 4+, whereas Cordova will only work well on Android 5+.

• I thought that was due to a XDK bug which was resolved recently.

The audio thing is an iOS9 bug.

There is a bug in Intel XDK that doesnt play music. Intel folks advised to build APK using Crosswalk 15 option (CL5.1.1). This is supposed to fix the music not playing issue.

• I wonder if the substitution of sound to music folders in C2 project will solve your music audio problem

• I wonder if the substitution of sound to music folders in C2 project will solve your music audio problem

Yes that what another Dev did and he said it works well. I will try that too. I am just concerned about performance, becuase unlike music which gets "streamed" when played, the whole sound files are loaded into memory when the game starts.

May be Ashley is the best person to comment on this

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)