Things missing from C2 Event system

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • Hi all,

Below is a list of the things that are missing from C2 event system, this could be considered as a suggestion list for C3.

-Duration and Countdown Timers as conditions: Having a condition "After X seconds" (Countdown Timer - runs constantly after specified time) or "For X seconds" (Duration Timer - runs while the timer is below the specified number of seconds, after that it stops executing) would make things a lot more easier. These two will stop counting if the parent is no longer active (in contract with the "wait" command).

-"Replace" command (key R) doesn't work for all behaviors, mainly "Pin".

-"Is changed", "Is incrementing" and "Is decrementing" are three conditions that are time-savers for a lot of things. Would be cool to have them. They check the change of a specified variable / tick elapsed. They only run once per activation (meaning if a number is incremented 4 times in 4 ticks, they will run 4 times - can't run more than once per tick).

-Audio time markers. Setting them on music tracks and calling events when the marker is played (useful for precise audio timing)

Let me know what you think or if you want to add something.

EDIT: Also forgot about vectors variables. It would easier and faster to have vector variables to store values instead of defining X and Y separately. Some vector functions would be cool too, like random cone, random circle, normal, etc.

• We have the Timer behavior. It only triggers when at the end however.

Rex has one that runs at the beginning, or end, and has a choice for timescale.

-"Is changed", "Is incrementing" and "Is decrementing" = system compare

• newt , can you give an example on that with system compare?

Audio time markers does sound helpful.

• dropbox.com/s/zmfsdv9kkg87ok4/mousehide.capx

Thank you. I see you used every X seconds with different intervals to check the differences.

But how do you compare the same variable with itself to see if it's decreasing or increasing?

• You compare the value to its old value set in the variable

Less than, greater than, etc.

There's also other system comparisons like is between.

Is between min & max- do nothing

Else, do foo

• You compare the value to its old value set in the variable

Less than, greater than, etc.

There's also other system comparisons like is between.

Is between min & max- do nothing

Else, do foo

Yes, this is the way I do things too, I store a value into a variable and then check it in later ticks. However, imagine if that was a pre-build condition and you didn't need to populate your project with unnecessary variables. You could then say Mouse.AbsoluteX NOT changed, Set cursor to None, and that would be just one line of code.

Regarding timer behavior, its cool but it looks complex for what it should do, so complex that I would rather use a variable and decrement it every tick instead of it. "Wait" is a good alternative for timed events, but sometimes you may need to break the sequence and "wait" will run no matter what. So a mixture of both is needed, something that is easy, fast and flexible.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • newt Thanks.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)