Support for Steam Cloud Save

1 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • I'm wondering how to make save system in C2 that would work best with steam cloud saves. Of course I'm exporting game via NW.js.

Localstorage/webstorage doesn't do the job. What alternatives are there?

• Save the game data files locally using the nw.js object file actions (don't bother with local save). Then configure steam Auto-Cloud to inspect and update the folder where you save the game files (you just need to pick a folder where the nw.js object will have write access, so My Documents or a sub-folder is best IMO). This tutorial contains an example of how to use the built in save game function with nw.js; however, you could easily opt to save data in a file of your own format, something like "mysave.mygame" and read/write data to it as text.

• Cloud save is easy to setup on Steam and my game uses local storage and works just fine with cloud save but the best way to do it is what Colludium said. I will also change to a custom save in my game as well so users can see where the save files are stored easily.

• Thank you for answers.

• I'd like to get back to this issue.

Is C2's save system (tutorial: https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/526/ho ... -savegames) supporting Steam Cloud save? How to achieve this?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yes you can use that tutorial and it will work with Steam cloud save. Cloud save is handled in steamworks and you don't have to do anything in C2. All you need to do is to tell Steam which folder your game uses for saving and it will work. So just make a regular saving solution in C2 and then do the rest when you have a developer account on steam and can access steamworks and its settings.

• As you mentioned, when configuring Steam Cloud Save you have show where save files are (folder or files). What folder/file should I point? There's no additional files created when I save game using

• Might not help because I save differently but...

If using local storage game files are in (main disk)/user/(username)/appdata/local/(yourgamesname.)

I'm not sure if a savestate is also there I always use local storage for saving/loading.

Ok now in steamworks.

Setting up this way in root paths for windows:

root: WinAppDataLocal

subdirectory:(gamename)/Local storage <---This changed in the latest NW.js to a different folder position but still in this area so will need editing slightly)

for the mac versions just do the same but set root to MacAppSupport and OS obviously to OSX.

• So I made test for (main disk)/user/(username)/appdata/local/(yourgamesname.)

Before save:

\	Cache\		
    \	GPUCache\		
    \	Local Storage\		
    \	lockfile		
    \	Web Data		
    \	Web Data-journal		
    \Cache\	index-dir\		
    \Cache\	index		
    \Cache\index-dir\	the-real-index		
    \GPUCache\	data_0		
    \GPUCache\	data_1		
    \GPUCache\	data_2		
    \GPUCache\	data_3		
    \GPUCache\	index[/code:9j46dggx]		

After save:
    [code:9j46dggx]\	Cache\		
    \	databases\		
    \	GPUCache\		
    \	IndexedDB\		
    \	Local Storage\		
    \	QuotaManager		
    \	QuotaManager-journal		
    \	Web Data		
    \	Web Data-journal		
    \Cache\	index-dir\		
    \Cache\	index		
    \Cache\index-dir\	the-real-index		
    \databases\	Databases.db	db	
    \databases\	Databases.db-journal	db-journal	
    \GPUCache\	data_0		
    \GPUCache\	data_1		
    \GPUCache\	data_2		
    \GPUCache\	data_3		
    \GPUCache\	index		
    \IndexedDB\	file__0.indexeddb.leveldb\	leveldb	
    \IndexedDB\file__0.indexeddb.leveldb\	000003.log	log	
    \IndexedDB\file__0.indexeddb.leveldb\	CURRENT		
    \IndexedDB\file__0.indexeddb.leveldb\	LOCK		
    \IndexedDB\file__0.indexeddb.leveldb\	LOG		
    \IndexedDB\file__0.indexeddb.leveldb\	MANIFEST-000002[/code:9j46dggx]

Is there any documentation or explanation what those files are? Where are saved games etc.?
  • tecbug, you need to follow that tutorial I linked above and use the nw.js save function and not the local storage save function.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)