Situation with loading levels only when needed?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Progress\Loading Bar. Now Load you game like a Professional.
  • Hi everyone,

I think, last I knew, at least with CocoonJs export, the whole game is loaded all at once, and if that exceeds the ram (heap) of the device, it won't run.

Is this still the case.. If so, any clues as to when that might be improved? (meaning when The game will be able to load one frame at a time as needed)

I'm working on fairly large games for my clients and they'll never make it onto Ipod touches etc if this remains the case.

thanks,

Mike

• Cocoonjs implemented webgl, which should improve the situation by using layout by layout loading. There are currently some fps issues with it on iOS right now though.

I agree an option to wait on loading anything from disk until loading the layout that heeds it would be nice.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I don't quite understand your response, Arima...

It seems like you said it uses webgl, which DOES load each level (layout), but then you say "an option to wait on loading anything from disk until loading the layout that heeds it would be nice. ", as though it does NOT load per layout....

So, which is it?

Are you saying it only loads one event sheet at a time, but all images and sound files still get loaded all at once?

thanks,

Mike

• I'm actually not 100% sure of how it works, but I think it's like this:

At startup, all code and images are loaded into memory, but the images are left in a compressed state.

At the start of a layout, necessary images are decompressed for rendering and unnecessary decompressed images are removed from memory, but their compressed versions remain.

I could be wrong about that - best to get Ashley or ludei to comment.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)