NW.js v0.12.0 (Chromium 41) 5th March, Discussion

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Set of 12 Parallax Background to make pixel art game.
  • Okay so I updated to this version and I get around 49~ FPS, whereas with the very first unbundled nodewebkit from r187 I get 58~ FPS.

So the older version gave me 10 more FPS than the new! So this new version is looking worse for my Intel i3 computer as it now causes a frame rate drop and stuttering, I guess I'll have to try it on a range of low-end computers though to see if its universally worse for my game.

• - it should be the same as Chrome. Has the latest Chrome update had a corresponding framerate drop too?

• : i have an Intel i3, too and with the game i am currently working on i get constant 60fps in windowed mode & fullscreen with the latest node webkit. But, i am not using third party plugins. Try to disable plugin after plugin and look if it helps. Or, maybe it's a webgl effect, that causes the frame drop.

Good luck.

• Ya, it's basically the same performance as Chrome, not going above 50 FPS (35 FPS in newest FF). So the old node-webkit is still better performing, at least on my low end i3.

• It's slower than NW 10.5 here too but getting relatively smooth performance at least. The occasional jank. Nothing big.

The screen tearing though is ugly as balls. Isn't that what vsync is supposed to be for?

[quote:k794pqf7]It would be awesome if Scirra made it's own custom desktop exporter. Or Monzilla made their own, google has a major tendency to ruin a lot of things.

Yeah, dependency sucks.

• Unfortunately, anything that relies on chome is a work in futility.

12 months ago chrome was easily the best (if not only) choice for html5 games. Now it is, 'don't bother'.

Google could easily fix this problem by rolling back to the version before they introduced the jank. If they pay any attention to the bug reports for this issue, they could easily pinpoint what, and when they broke it, roll back to the version that worked, and move forward from there.

Why don't they fix it? Two words: don't care.

Simply put, you can't use chrome any more for C2 games.

• [quote:2bl4rmxn]It would be awesome if Scirra made it's own custom desktop exporter. Or Monzilla made their own, google has a major tendency to ruin a lot of things.

Ruin stuff like environment and economy, and what pisses me a lot too, they'll whole business plan is based around single direction links. If they would finally introduce bi-directional links, the problem of copyrights would exists only in video space.

Also, all those news about exporters are very disheartening :/

• It's sad that such a large company like Google just keep breaking products, software and services.

Not only is there jank still present, I'm using a pixelation effect, and when it activates there's super obvious screen tearing going from left to right.

I have a Nexus 5. Their recent update (for Australia) broke my audio for phone call, ring tones and such go through the ear piece instead of main speaker and there's nothing I can do to fix it but when for them to release a new fix. Pathetic from such a huge company swimming in cash.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • michael

megatronx

but you know, Google is not selling Chromium as a game player or game engine...

it was Scirra's decision to put everything on 1 card: Chromium

and now so many C2 devs suffer

• michael

megatronx

but you know, Google is not selling Chromium as a game player or game engine...

it was Scirra's decision to put everything on 1 card: Chromium

and now so many C2 devs suffer

That is true, but we all know by now that Scirra is very unlikely to ever change that. Because of this reliance on third party vendors who can't, or won't, fix their own bugs, both C2 and C3 are much more likely to remain a prototyping tool.

That is of course lamentable given the power of this awesome tool.

• michael

I still have hope for ludei Atomic Plugins, now waiting for update of their cloud service,

because as for now only Canvas+ [Android] and WebView+ [iOS] are good enough

for anything more complicated than Flappy Bird clone

"both C2 and C3 are much more likely to remain a prototyping tool"

prototyping and education tool

• I wish Ashley would make a full of desktop version of Construct 2/3 (desktop version as in for native desktop apps), maybe use C++ or Python (seems fitting for events) for the engine instead of HTML5 and JavaScript.

Yeah, but it won't happen. This a HTML5 engine, and despite the overwhelming evidence of the flaws in this direction (due to third party reliance), Scirra will likely never budge.

As I see it the problem is the desire to be able to publish to multiple platforms - the result: multiple exports that may work for simple flappy game only, if at all.

At the moment you can't even run a mediocre C2 game 100 smooth on a desktop system that will run any of the big 3D games with all options set to max. Let's be honest, even occasional jank on such a system for simple 2D games is not acceptable. (But it's ok, just update your graphics driver, and wait for 12 months when things will improve - good PR!!)

To me mobile is waste of time. C3 should have been the next iteration of CC, and just export to desktop only.

• michael

Scirra's excuses are pathetic (always about waiting and better future; btw. jittering Chromium issue was submitted almost 6 months ago, lol) but I disagree with mobiles. For really good game/app you need money, and small mobile apps (with native ads) can help you gain enough money for something bigger.

• So it's been quite a few months since the last NW.js update, is it not improving much, or is it as good as it's going to get?

• nw.js 0.13.0 will be based on chromium 43, which I heard fixes the smoothness issue.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)