NW.js v0.12.0 (Chromium 41) 5th March, Discussion

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Set of 12 Parallax Background to make pixel art game.
  • TiAm

Lunatrap

I just went through the ship AI to optimize it, moving everything possible (without affecting the fluid nature of combat) under [every 0.1, 0.25 or 0.5 seconds] to calculate instead of prior where it would do it every frame.

The results are amazing. Peaking around 50% thread usage, right at my goal.

Ofc if it were multi-thread, one could scale up to enormous fleet battles, entirely Gratuitous! But for now, I am satisfied!

ps. For the topic of NW 12, it start to stutter. I had to revert back to 10.5 for it to be smooth.

pss. It was a messy install of NW over the old version (there's too many to test hehe). I've just uninstall it entirely and put back on the newly released NW 12, it's smooth, no problems.

• ome6a1717

THANKS for your feedback, im glad im not the only one. im on 10.5 too. you can see the results above

• Janks per second for me ,but nw12Preview1 is smooth

and two versions are popping

• Just an idea. You could spread out the processor load further by doing something like this: instead of updating all the enemies every time interval just update half one interval and the other half the next. Or you could spread it further if needed. That would reduce the amount of stalling when looping over a large number of enemies.

• Glad you were able to hit your target.

R0J0hound's suggestion sounds like a good one too, maybe for some of your heaviest processes.

I'm never actually dealt with the RTS gametype, but I've read that it's one of the most difficult game designs to implement efficiently. I hope you can enjoy the challenge...

• Just an idea. You could spread out the processor load further by doing something like this: instead of updating all the enemies every time interval just update half one interval and the other half the next. Or you could spread it further if needed. That would reduce the amount of stalling when looping over a large number of enemies.

That's what I did once, with displaying one massive array. It works great.

Thanks. I sorta have that currently, faster units (drones & fighters) are on a different timer branch that updates more frequently than slower ones. Its required to keep them fluid since the distance & angle checks to determine their movement has to be fired more frequently else they collide before evading.

I enjoy the challenge to optimize so its fun working with the limitations of 1 logic thread.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Has anyone had trouble with NW.js + Box2D asm.js + minify? Any of the physics projects I've tried, if I export and minify, I just get a black screen. No minify or use the other Box2d, the all seems to work.

• JamardaDigital Would you please file an offical bug for this?

• Eisenhans & JamardaDigital,

Bug report submitted - here.

• Colludium

Thanks, I was just about to do this.

• Colludium Thanks for saving us the work.

• . It allowed me a quick break from (failing at) planning a layout.

• I'm still getting some slight jank, it's most noticeable when you jump. But my game is 256x224 scaled to screen. So it could be that a couple pixels still jank, although it's only happening on my player.

When you update NW.js, what happens to the package.json files? Do they update as well? Because mine are apparently dated 27/01 but my new NW.js update is dated 06/03. Are they supposed to update as well?

You know, I think there is problem with scaling up low res games.

• > I'm still getting some slight jank, it's most noticeable when you jump. But my game is 256x224 scaled to screen. So it could be that a couple pixels still jank, although it's only happening on my player.

>

> When you update NW.js, what happens to the package.json files? Do they update as well? Because mine are apparently dated 27/01 but my new NW.js update is dated 06/03. Are they supposed to update as well?

>

You know, I think there is problem not related to nw with scaling up low res games.

I have same "couple of px" problems with my project. Especially with vertical elevators.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)