NW0.13.alpha5 Testing Report **Alpha6 Works!!**

0 favourites
  • Great job on the testing! Any idea how 0.13 fares with the red loading bar issue on mac and linux?

Oh man I am really excited because this is potentially the first time that C2 for Desktop won't be plagued by nasty issues... the Holy Grail, it's nearly there, very close now.

I can't test Linux, no experience with it at all.

I'll test MAC tomorrow on my Mac Air.

This NW build is really aggressive with memory cleaning, on layout change, within ~10 seconds it will call garbage collector and free up assets not present on the layout. It's nice to see memory usage drop back down.

There is a small quirk, it seems to ignore the sound fx preload option as well as the Audio -> Preload event. But that's a very minor issues that can be easily fixed with a function call (to events to play some Sounds at -200 decibels, to "load" those sounds into memory) On Start of Layout.

I also do function calls to "preload" sprites and explosions with lots of frames along with the sounds, and it's so good to witness a massive fleet battle between many AI factions running 100% fluid smooth. It's a thing of beauty now.

I have many large ships including big capitals duking it out and hundreds of fighters swarming around dog-fighting, and it's zero jank, performance is outstanding.

• I have many large ships including big capitals duking it out and hundreds of fighters swarming around dog-fighting, and it's zero jank, performance is outstanding.

I have yet to test against older PCs (my work PC is too new to really represent the majority of gamers) but it looks very promising indeed.

My bullet hell testing ground runs smooth like a baby's ass on alpha6.

• Good that NW.js works again.

But, still we cannot export using NW.Js plugin object, same blank screen bug on startup. So we cannot use custom save/load systems, having to go with C2's default Save/Load.

But unfortunately, I really need to use the NW.js plugin object for the Sandbox mode in my game, in order to load and save files in a Windows dialog UI. Any alternatives?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Good that NW.js works again.

> But, still we cannot export using NW.Js plugin object, same blank screen bug on startup. So we cannot use custom save/load systems, having to go with C2's default Save/Load.

>

>

But unfortunately, I really need to use the NW.js plugin object for the Sandbox mode in my game, in order to load and save files in a Windows dialog UI. Any alternatives?

That will just have to wait for Ashley to get around to fixing because its a C2 plugin incompatibility issue.

Once its fixed, I can switch back to using the custom save system as well as text file modding access, it's pretty handy having those file access for sure.

• > Great job on the testing! Any idea how 0.13 fares with the red loading bar issue on mac and linux?

>

Oh man I am really excited because this is potentially the first time that C2 for Desktop won't be plagued by nasty issues... the Holy Grail, it's nearly there, very close now.

I can't test Linux, no experience with it at all.

I'll test MAC tomorrow on my Mac Air.

This NW build is really aggressive with memory cleaning, on layout change, within ~10 seconds it will call garbage collector and free up assets not present on the layout. It's nice to see memory usage drop back down.

There is a small quirk, it seems to ignore the sound fx preload option as well as the Audio -> Preload event. But that's a very minor issues that can be easily fixed with a function call (to events to play some Sounds at -200 decibels, to "load" those sounds into memory) On Start of Layout.

I also do function calls to "preload" sprites and explosions with lots of frames along with the sounds, and it's so good to witness a massive fleet battle between many AI factions running 100% fluid smooth. It's a thing of beauty now.

I have many large ships including big capitals duking it out and hundreds of fighters swarming around dog-fighting, and it's zero jank, performance is outstanding.

If I were to get a mac build of my game to you built with 0.13 alpha 6, would you be able to give it a quick try to see if it gets beyond the red bar? It has over 900 images so it will give a good indication whether this is still a problem!

• AlexFrancois

I've got thousands of images (lost track of count). So if thats the issue, mine will show it. Its nearly 12AM and I am coding a keybind UI atm so I'll test it on the MAC tomorrow.

• Not sure whats going on but the gradients on my images are a lot worse with Alpha 6

• spongehammer

Got a screenshot?

• Not sure whats going on but the gradients on my images are a lot worse with Alpha 6

I'm testing alpha 6 also and haven't noticed any colour issues. Are you using any effects or is it just images with gradients?

• - Thanks for the info, hope Ashley can fix it in the next weeks or more.

• Yeah,

both images of the same section of screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1y9et1d1isnreof/cap1.PNG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1n3nejmmclf94l/cap2.PNG?dl=0

Overall the screens dont look as good. No effects being used.

• AlexFrancois

I've got thousands of images (lost track of count). So if thats the issue, mine will show it. Its nearly 12AM and I am coding a keybind UI atm so I'll test it on the MAC tomorrow.

Ah cool, I look forward to your results!

• spongehammer

That looks like shit indeed.

I have not been able to reproduce it, though. Have a look at the following:

The left one is a direct grab from photoshop, the right one a screenshot from the export running inside alpha6 (no preview, but exported exe). No difference, no degradation. Are you sure you are not running into something different like lower MIP mapping levels or similar?

• Eisenhans

Hmmm thats strange. You images look fine. I have checked all the settings and they are identical. No image compression on export either.

I will try some other images in a new project and see if there is a difference there.

• Well this is odd. Both Chrome and Firefox show poor images. IE renders ok and NWJS 10.5 ( based on an earlier chrome) renders fine. So its nothing to do with Alpha 6. I have the latest Nvidia drivers and i have tried earlier versions to no avail.

Seems something has changed on my PC.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)