Ignoring specific solids using the platform behavior...

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
With this template you will learn how to use the GooglePlay Games native plugin
  • Zebbi did you ever hear back on this other than in this forum?

• Zebbi did you ever hear back on this other than in this forum?

Unfortunately, no, it looks like it's going ignored, I'm afraid! Maybe we can ask Ashley nicely again.

• > Zebbi did you ever hear back on this other than in this forum?

>

Unfortunately, no, it looks like it's going ignored, I'm afraid! Maybe we can ask Ashley nicely again.

Being able to ignore specific solid/solid types seems like a no-brainer, especially in terms of optimizing collisions. Unity has layer-based collision (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LayerBasedCollision.html), and it's not hard to imagine why similar functionality, or some kind of tag system for collisions (also in most other engines), would be useful in a 2D game as well. Every little bit of optimization can help, across all platforms. Hopefully Ashley and co look into this. Even extending it to other objects types, like bullets, would be great - bullets may not need to track if they're colliding/overlapping with each other at any point, for example, so that check could be ignored - though I suppose any benefits arising from that scenario would depend on how C2 is checking for collision/overlap in those circumstances to begin with. Heck, just being able to manually set collision cell size (this matters a lot when the "camera" zooms in/out) instead of having it set automatically to theoretically avoid misuse by less experienced users would be a big step...I've never understood the "we don't include this feature because some people may be confused by it" mindset that exists around C2 development.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • >

> > Zebbi did you ever hear back on this other than in this forum?

> >

> Unfortunately, no, it looks like it's going ignored, I'm afraid! Maybe we can ask Ashley nicely again.

>

Being able to ignore specific solid/solid types seems like a no-brainer, especially in terms of optimizing collisions. Unity has layer-based collision (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LayerBasedCollision.html), and it's not hard to imagine why similar functionality, or some kind of tag system for collisions (also in most other engines), would be useful in a 2D game as well. Every little bit of optimization can help, across all platforms. Hopefully Ashley and co look into this. Even extending it to other objects types, like bullets, would be great - bullets may not need to track if they're colliding/overlapping with each other at any point, for example, so that check could be ignored - though I suppose any benefits arising from that scenario would depend on how C2 is checking for collision/overlap in those circumstances to begin with. Heck, just being able to manually set collision cell size (this matters a lot when the "camera" zooms in/out) instead of having it set automatically to theoretically avoid misuse by less experienced users would be a big step...I've never understood the "we don't include this feature because some people may be confused by it" mindset that exists around C2 development.

Layers would be coo, sure, but I really just want to be able to have different enemies be able to ignore solids independently of each other, so some enemies can walk through certain surfaces where others can't.

• Zebbi

Yes, that is a fairly basic feature that you'd think would be obviously useful. As would being able to prevent solid objects from checking for collisions with other objects of the same type. An example of this would be solid/jumpthrough platforms - why would they ever need to check if they're colliding with the same object type next to them, when they're used to build platforms? That's just silly and C2 should include a way to disable such checks. While I'm sure there's some optimization in the engine to reduce the impact of collisions occurring in this fashion, automatic will never be as optimized as (optional) manual settings.

• Zebbi

Yes, that is a fairly basic feature that you'd think would be obviously useful.

Yep, Fusion has always done it, I just wish it was over here too

• Zebbi

Most game engines I've run across do it.

• For instance, how would you do this with jump-thrus and have both characters use the stairs in this type of game without this? https://youtu.be/9Bo_dpRk3So?t=71

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)