Humble suggestion for event sheet UI

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
- This pack is suitable for shooting games, running games, platform games, and side-scrolling...
  • Hi,

I just thought, i will share my opinion and suggestion on the UI in construct 2. Specifically for event sheet.

So, right now I work on project which has almost 2000 events (and it is going to be more than that) in one eventsheet. Since I got my hands on full construct 2 license I went little crazy . Having groups and comments is great way to organize things. But still 2000 events is a lot and the event sheet is crowded and finding part of the code is no longer an easy task (yes even with search/find feature).

Ok my suggestion is, that it would be very helpful to have ability to change color of selected groups or comments. Maybe like this: on group right click -> edit or on creating group/comment than give it desired color to distinguish parts of the code. For example Enemy AI from Player weapons etc.

I did work on some projects in UDK (Unreal development kit) and I used kismet (simplified in-engine object-based scripting tool) and it has feature to give events, vars, comments etc. custom color, it helped a lot. I didnt try Unreal Engine 4 yet to see how they did their scripting tool in there, but I can assure you that this coloring feature helped a lot, to have things more organized.

So guys what do you think? Do you use some third party extensions or some cool tricks to make things better organized?

Hope it helps cheers

• Most - if not all - of these suggestions have been made previously, many times. Ashley has stated that UI changes are difficult and time consuming due to the nature of the third party ui system they use.

Considering these are effectively aesthetic in nature - or even bad design, i.e. consider using multiple event sheets and just include when needed - then it was more beneficial for Ashley to fix bugs and develop new features.

This will/may change now with the introduction of C3, but it's a bit too early to say.

• I see, I thought about that and I understand.

So there is no other way to organize event sheet than the grouping and commenting things ? I would love to make my work with event sheet as pleaseble as possible

• I have also made lots of similar requests, including ability to print on paper. But I guess we will wait for C3.

Be liberal with the groups and you can also make group inside group. To me the group title and subtitle is more clear than just comments. Use different event sheets for different codes. Add the global variables to their own sheet.

Also you can space out the events, to make it more "airy", by adding empty comment rows.

• I see, I thought about that and I understand.

So there is no other way to organize event sheet than the grouping and commenting things ? I would love to make my work with event sheet as pleaseble as possible

use more than one event sheet, for example, if your game is a platform:

1 for setup the level

1 just for the player and use differen group

-CONTROLL

-ANIMATON

-SPECIAL JUMP....

1 just for weapons/ammo

1 just for general IA

I would like to se the comment on single event (and the color), when I made 2000 events (and the project is 40%) in different event sheet, after one months, is almost impossible to jump in the project immediately... you have to see everythings, because the group can still make confusion

• You are right Ribis and thanks for suggestions.

Can I still re-make the eventsheet to multiple eventsheets, so I do not break my game? Is there some tutorial how can I do this?

• You are right Ribis and thanks for suggestions.

Can I still re-make the eventsheet to multiple eventsheets, so I do not break my game? Is there some tutorial how can I do this?

Simply copy paste your events from one sheet to another. And remember to Include those event sheets to your main sheet.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Wow, that is super easy, thx for the tip

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)