How to smooth out the camera

• Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle.

For my camera, I'm using a simple "Every Tick" event.

Currently. my player's speed is 120. I want to reduce it to around 80 or 90 but if I do, the camera starts stutterly very slightly.

If I set it to 60, it's perfectly smooth, same with 120.

If I use multiples of 60, the camera is perfectly smooth, but anything else and it's kind of stuttery.

Any known fixes for this?

• That depends on how you are controlling your camera....

• That depends on how you are controlling your camera....

I just use an Every Tick event with one action that sets the camera to the player's X and Y position.

• Try: every tick, set scrollx to lerp(scrollx, playerx, 10*dt) and do similar for scrolly. Although it's not a totally accurate use of dt, it'll be more than adequate for smoothing out the motion of the camera.

• Yeah you don't really have a lot of options here. Using lerp() or anything for a dragging camera will just make it worse. One "fix" is to disable pixel rounding and use high-quality fullscreen scaling...but that's kind of against the rules if making a retro game

• Try: every tick, set scrollx to lerp(scrollx, playerx, 10*dt) and do similar for scrolly. Although it's not a totally accurate use of dt, it'll be more than adequate for smoothing out the motion of the camera.

I did a funny thing yesterday, I think I was trying to do that but ended up doing this:

lerp(playerx, playerx, 1 - 60^dt)

lol

@Tokinsom

Would disabling pixel rounding create any bugs?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Pixel rounding is purely graphic, it will only affect how the game is displayed.

• Yeah you don't really have a lot of options here. Using lerp() or anything for a dragging camera will just make it worse. One "fix" is to disable pixel rounding and use high-quality fullscreen scaling...but that's kind of against the rules if making a retro game

Just tried disabling pixel rounding (fullscreen scaling was already high-quality).

Any known side effects of disabling pixel rounding besides stuff can get drawn between pixels?

So far it's just made the camera really smooth.

• Pixel rounding is purely graphic, it will only affect how the game is displayed.

Ah okay great, Thanks Aphrodite!

My game seems a lot smoother when it's turned off. So I think I'll give my game a bit of a cheat and keep it turned off.

• You can try MoveTo behavior to make smooth moving,also this give you the option to change the speed any time you want.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)