How do I tile a background in only one direction?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Rotate & Animation for 16 Direction & Mouse Direction
  • Is it possible to use tile backgrounds in only one direction? I have a water background that I want to scroll behind my scene but a blue line is on top of my waves because the effect is tiling in both directions thus the blue line is the bottom of my water starting again. How can I fix this?

• You can resize the height of the tiled background in the editor and that should fix your issue.

• Try making sure the tiledbg texture is a power of 2

Also try to see if the resize mode of "Letterbox Integer Scale" removes them as well if previous advise does not solve issue.

• Since you aren't repeating top to bottom, you could put a transparent row along the bottom edge as well, which should catch the blur that's wrapping around.

• Since you aren't repeating top to bottom, you could put a transparent row along the bottom edge as well, which should catch the blur that's wrapping around.

Thanks everyone, this is what solved the issue I stretched my image export from inkscape to include some clear space above and below my tile, this way now I do not get the bottom repeated on top. Although i'm confused about the power of two aspect, is it really necessary for I am trying to do a gradient across my layout that is 1366 x 768 so I would need a very large image at least 2048 x 2048 to cover everything. Would it make sense to tile a 2048x2048 or would it be better to just double the 1366 which is all I need.

• For fades I like to use a sprite, usually less than 32 pixels. I put the fade across it, and stretch it to fill the screen, and the blur added to it blends all the colors for me. (the ground in my Chicks game is 1x20)

I try not to do that with transparency though, as when played on mobile, it can only handle drawing 3 screen worth before taking performance hits. Meaning areas seen through a sprite are using twice that screen area to draw. And too much overlap can reach that limit pretty fast.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ill have to try that, also I like your game good pun.

• Thanks, I thought it would be fun for people to share, but I think too many people are scared to even look at it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)