Cocoon Officially Dead. What does this mean for C2 users?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • So Cocoon is officially dead now, C3 can compile its projects, but what about construct 2 exports?

Is there any free/cheap alternative left?

• There are cordova cli and phonegap. Also they already have a note in their post which is about changing cocoon with cordova, there are a few more alternatives in there.

• Good question ! I am interested too ...

• I'll repeat the advice we've been giving for the past year or two now: These are our recommended options for publishing Cordova apps from C2.

1. Use C3's mobile app build service to build C2 exports.
    2. Use an actively supported third-party build service like PhoneGap Build.
    3. Use the Cordova CLI. This is a free manual build tool that works offline. (This option is more appropriate for advanced users.)
  • Thx for these tips !

I allready used 3.) Cordova CLI. But i wasn´t satisfied with the performance result. Somehow, especially the canvas+ from cocoon, outperforms the standard Cordova CLI. I don´t know if there are any similar add-ons for cordova-CLI which are comparable to canvas+ ?

2.) PhoneGap is a "only online" service, as far as i know ? I don´t like such stuff and they are from Adobe.

1.) Is this C3 mobile app build service also online, or offline standalone ?

• I'll repeat the advice we've been giving for the past year or two now: These are our recommended options for publishing Cordova apps from C2.

1. Use C3's mobile app build service to build C2 exports.
    2. Use an actively supported third-party build service like PhoneGap Build.
    3. Use the Cordova CLI. This is a free manual build tool that works offline. (This option is more appropriate for advanced users.)

the problem is c3 build require a subscription account, and for me as a small indie developer its so expensive because 99$ per year in my country its a lot of money , and there is no discount or coupons to get c3 for lower price :( . and the other wrappers are very bad according to performance

• androidpro While I dislike subscriptions, C3 is way more cheaper than Cocoon, and you also get the game engine itself included in the same price. Let's not even add the ridiculous 500$ price to remove the Cocoon logo per game.

Also, C3 is cheaper then PhoneGap's paid plan per year.

If you want a free solution, use Cordova CLI or PhoneGap (free plan).

And in worst case, you can search for a competitor engine that suits your needs.

• Sound good. But one point with C3 subscription is, as mentioned by users that can´t effort that price, even if its a very low price for western-region (speaking for non-western regions). It would be much better, if Scirra would offer a solution that is free, with some restrictions. Maybe the permanent Logo, or something else. This way it is more democratic, more wide spreaded. A solution that fits to everyone results in more users. IMHO.

I also know, the C3 company must earn money, to give us support, updates / upgrades. As said before, i think there could be a more optimized biz-model to earn that money, they diserve.

• is a "only online" service, as far as i know ? I don´t like such stuff?

But the cocoon.io was as well online service, what the difference???? The other point is a third side plugin management with a new alternatives.

P.S I think the "The Export Manager" have to be free or at least discounted for C2 licensed users :)

• Build services are expensive to develop, maintain and run. We have no plans to offer it as a free service in any capacity - this is unlikely to ever be economical. Despite this, as noted, the build service and the full version of C3 are still cheaper than a PhoneGap Build subscription alone. If you are desperate for a free option, there's the Cordova CLI.

• I didn't know that i can build with C3 without importing C2 project in it, that's good to know :)

but lets say we make our projects in C2 and pay for C3 to build in it then i have some followup questions...

1) Which of the following level of performance can i expect from C3 build game? :

a)Canvas + (Cocoon)

b)Webview + (Cocoon)

c)Webview (Cocoon)

d)cordova CLI

e)Phonegap Build

2) Why not bill C3 Build Service for per day for a smaller price? (although i am planning to move all my projects to C3, their are still people who wants to work on C2 and build with C3)

3) If the answer to first question is not Canvas+, then where can we get that level of performance? for C2 games that are big and need that kind of wrapper to perform fast on all kinds of mobile devices?

• I use the Cordova CLI already, but what will happen with the Cocoon plugins? They will work?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Rodrigo Bezzi

Cocoon has provided a step by step guide to switch from cocoon to cordova, And they have open sourced their plugins so hopefully they will work for now. Just follow their instructions.

• Thats great, if they will be still available. I was only able to Put my www-content into a provided APK, that i decompiled and compiled. This worked.

I also managed to use CordovaCLI, but wasn´t impressed by its performance in comparison to Cocoon Canvas+. Do you have a "link" which describes / shows how to use the CordovaCLI with the Cocoon-Plugins ??? ... this would be great to be more indipendent !

• Here...

https://cocoon.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=035d35c1b796455b04906c40e&id=226d97ecf9&e=a45d01a9e0

But to be really independent you should not use cocoon plugins at all.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)