C2 performance still depressing

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • Well here we are another month on and still nothing has changed with the performance of C2 on the desktop. Exporting to Chrome still produces glitchy performance and the current NW.js is no better.

Try this. Create a simple sprite and add rotation. View in Chrome. Be depressed.

• Chrome itself is depressing at the moment... They sure did something wrong over the last couple updates.

• +1.

I just spent a week experimenting with Godot as an alternative, However, reading their forums they seem to have similar problems (!) but the engine is still very new. Libgdx has an awesome editor as well and might take up some of my time over the next week to see if I can stand writing code for that. But really I think I'm just in denial about trying Unity again.... Especially as it's essentially free.

It worries me that anything slightly dynamic still cannot be rendered smoothly on desktop (have they ever?) and there's no horizon in sight yet - indefinite solutions do not inspire confidence.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Calling this "bad C2 performance" is a little bit.. suggestive, imho.

C2 performs better than ever, it's just Google who went on the fritz for unknown reasons. The interesting thing to note is that the HTML5 world as a whole depends a lot more on Google than anybody anticipated.

• There is a saying - placing all ones eggs in one basket - that sums up C2. It is entirely reliant on other peoples technology in order to function.

However, it's not like anyone didn't know this (or if so, they sould have).

Technology is constantly advancing, and it's more than likely things will sort themselves out, but that isn't much help to those who are frustrated by the current browser situation.

• Yeah just lately I have been wondering if there is anything that can actually be done on C2 side.

My wife is fanatical with a Facebook game - Farmville 2.

She plays this game almost daily and has done for well over 12 months. It has lots of things happening on screen (1920x1080 res) all the time.

The thing that makes me wonder is that she uses Chrome to play the game and it has NEVER had any of these jank problems - period.

So is it that the people who make the game have found work-a-rounds for the jank problem, or is this more of an issue with C2 exported games conflicting with chrome in some way?

• As far as i know Farmville is a Flashgame...

• Eisenhans

With all due respect C2 can run as smooth as butter but if i cant get anything out of it that runs smooth then there is a problem. I dont want to start another long debate about what Scirra should or shouldnt do as there are a number of those threads already running.

I have said before how much i like to use C2 but the constant output issues really do make me think whether to continue using it.

zenox98

[quote:20xkqhmg]There is a saying - placing all ones eggs in one basket - that sums up C2. It is entirely reliant on other peoples technology in order to function.

Very true.

• If you can live with a less-than-full-screen resolution for your game (i can) then c2 is the dog's. I sense that webgl is partly to blame for this, but I've yet to provide evidence to back that up.

• spongehammer

[quote:17872iw0] I dont want to start another long debate about what Scirra should or shouldnt do as there are a number of those threads already running.

So, if this isn't about what you want Scirra to do.. what do you want? (Serious question)

• I dont think Scirra can do anything tbh. I am sure if they could they would.

Really it was just a statement about how i feel when i start a new project, then am reminded as soon as i run it that i cant (at the moment) produce a completed project.

Even if Google pulled their finger out and fixed Chrome tomorrow there is no saying that the following week it week it wouldnt be broken again. Although i am not in this situation myself at the moment i really do feel for the people who have games ready to go and have to wait for Google.

• I think we just have to accept that C2 is a prototype/education tool.

• Aurel used Node-Webkit 10.5 for The Next Penelope and it seems to be working fine. They even said they got greenworks to work with it. Maybe that is the key for the moment. Their game gets outstanding reviews as well and no mention of jank. http://store.steampowered.com/app/332250/

• Farmville 2 is a unity game btw.

• [quote:11if3pgg]Farmville 2 is a unity game btw.

No idea where you got this from, but Farmville 2 is of course still running on Flash, based on Flare3D.

*Edit: Aaah, I see now, you were referring to Farmville 2: Country Escape. Completely different beast.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)