The Big NW.js Roundup - News & Tips

From the Asset Store
Jump over the small square and avoid hitting it as long as you can!
  • OK, understood on the antivirus. I'm sceptical that contacting Norton will achieve anything though if I'm honest, but I might see if I can find a few other Steam games using nw.js and see if the same thing happens (just to have some ammunition).

There is unfortunately no other "easy trick" for this one. It's the same with certain types of game recording/streaming software not working properly with NWjs.

If it passes Valve's testing process, there should be nothing to worry about anyway. Maybe creating a discussion topic, stating the issue to your customers could help a bit.

With the overlay, if you don't add in --in-process-gpu on the latest version then it doesn't work at all, as in no Steam overlay shows. If you add in --in-process-gpu then all we got was a white screen when trying to view the overlay. It's all working fine on 0.33.3

I have no experience with Greenworks at all, since I'm using Steam4C2. I guess Headbang Games is right and your version simply isn't supported yet.

(PS we are not using any achievements or Steam features on our first release)

Unless you are under pressure because of a publisher or something else, I'd personally really recommend doing things step by step and not rushing it out.

• Just to clarify a bit, this isn't an issue with the Greenworks plugin (we're not using that) but it is a problem either with the later versions of NW.js or Chromium.

I've cut everything out of the loop (so no Greenworks, no Steam, no overlay or Construct 2), and tried using a simple set up including Christywl's basic example (which was confirmed to be working) in this bug report https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues/5871 and just running nw from the command line. I just get a completely white screen when --in-process-gpu is added to the package.json chromium-args, if it is using nw.js 0.34 or above, and it works fine on 0.33.3 and below. So that isn't related to the Steam overlay, it just doesn't render anything at all.

We thought it probably best to give a heads up that some people might run into issues with that workaround and the current versions of nw.js for Construct 2. It may not be everybody that encounters this but it is certainly an issue on my system. I've not done any investigation into it at all, I'd guess probably a chromium issue, I'll try and spend some time on it when I get the chance and raise it as a bug report.

• OK thank you, we are definitely going to try and take it slow! Only thing that confuses me on the Norton thing is why other Construct games on Steam don't have this issue (I purchased and tried a few). We are literally using no network features, no controller support, nothing. It is a 100% standalone application, so not sure what nw.js is doing really. If it's a standard uPnP thing then don't know why it affects our game and not others. Will keep trying to figure it out!

• Hello,

did something happened recently with security softwares concerning NWjs ? A customer of our product reported us that Bitdefender is preventing our application to start because a ransomware behavior was detected.

Cheers,

Math

• Just to clarify a bit, this isn't an issue with the Greenworks plugin (we're not using that) but it is a problem either with the later versions of NW.js or Chromium.

I've cut everything out of the loop (so no Greenworks, no Steam, no overlay or Construct 2), and tried using a simple set up including Christywl's basic example (which was confirmed to be working) in this bug report https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues/5871 and just running nw from the command line. I just get a completely white screen when --in-process-gpu is added to the package.json chromium-args, if it is using nw.js 0.34 or above, and it works fine on 0.33.3 and below. So that isn't related to the Steam overlay, it just doesn't render anything at all.

We thought it probably best to give a heads up that some people might run into issues with that workaround and the current versions of nw.js for Construct 2. It may not be everybody that encounters this but it is certainly an issue on my system. I've not done any investigation into it at all, I'd guess probably a chromium issue, I'll try and spend some time on it when I get the chance and raise it as a bug report.

I will give this another run using the latest version and check out what's going wrong.

Did something happened recently with security softwares concerning NWjs ? A customer of our product reported us that Bitdefender is preventing our application to start...

What version of NWjs are you using?

• Here's a picture of the BitDefender alert (in french, if you need translation, I'd post it)

What version of NWjs are you using?

nw.js v0.33.3

Node v10.10.0

Chromium 69.0.3497.100

commit hash: fdaa1b9-de9606e-577bc92-35a7ccb

• Here's a picture of the BitDefender alert (in french, if you need translation, I'd post it)

> What version of NWjs are you using?

nw.js v0.33.3

Great thanks for the info. I think it's clear enough that it detects NWjs as ransomware.

SecondDimension Do you use the same version? I'm planning to report it to the NWjs dev's. Internal changes in newer versions, could cause certain antivirus software triggering false positives.

• FYI false positives in antivirus software should be reported to the antivirus company, not the makers of the software identified as a false positive. There's pretty much nothing you can do about a false positive unless you're the AV company.

• FYI false positives in antivirus software should be reported to the antivirus company, not the makers of the software identified as a false positive. There's pretty much nothing you can do about a false positive unless you're the AV company.

That's true but they tend to have experience with these and as a result better ways to get in contact with the antivirus companies. Also they might know a way to prevent the false positives from happening in the first place.

Here are the submission forms for both, just in case:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the links TheRealDannyyy, and just to confirm: yes the game that me and Kmad are working on is currently at the same version as reported by ACCES-Mathieu. I have been testing our game in it's current form for a while on nw.js version 0.23 and it was only when updating beyond that version that these 'suspicious network activities' started. But having said that, I tried the latest version on a separate laptop using different anti-virus and I didn't get an issue, so as usual it's probably a combination of things.

• No new bugs in the recent releases as far as I know. (Fixed the broken direct links caused by this.)

The new window implementation is going live in NWjs 0.40 or 0.41. Now is the time to give it a go and get any remaining bugs fixed (?). The previous problems with fullscreen indicators are fixed.

If you're looking for new features, Construct 3 has a lot of those. I'll try to keep this updated if something interesting is happening in the future.

Cheers!

• Hello, the official steamworks plugin seems abandoned (12 months without updating).

Does anyone know what the situation is ?.

• Hello, the official steamworks plugin seems abandoned (12 months without updating).

Does anyone know what the situation is ?.

As far as I know the official plugin heavily relies on a 3rd party developer. Judging by their releases, there hasn't been much happening so Scirra can't really update it. Usually I would recommend the paid Steam4C2 plugin but that is abandoned by the developer as well. I guess Steam game developers have to deal with the current situation and use an outdated version of NWjs.

Not much else can be done about it. NWjs (desktop platform) simply doesn't receive as much love from Scirra, like any of the mobile platforms do right now.

• Ufff, then it stinks the fact of using Construct with the intention of publishing on Steam.

Luckily Steam does not force you to use it but it's a kick in the ass for the developer.

• As far as I know the official plugin heavily relies on a 3rd party developer. Judging by their releases, there hasn't been much happening so Scirra can't really update it. Usually I would recommend the paid Steam4C2 plugin but that is abandoned by the developer as well. I guess Steam game developers have to deal with the current situation and use an outdated version of NWjs.

Not much else can be done about it. NWjs (desktop platform) simply doesn't receive as much love from Scirra, like any of the mobile platforms do right now.

And wht about construct.net/en/make-games/addons/244/greengrinds and construct.net/en/make-games/addons/84/greenworks plugins ?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)