Alternative gfx for retina

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Template for an alternative to falling shapes, fully documented in comments and video
  • Hi All,

I was wondering if you could advise me on a couple of things.

I'm new to developing on Construct 2 but have a fair amount of iOS development experience.

Firstly when developing for iOS we generally have a set of graphics for retina devices and a set for standard sized screen.

I'm aware of the stretching capabilities in construct 2 but what makes the standard graphics look a bit blocky on iPad3 and using iPad3 graphics on a standard iPad is a huge waste of memory.

So what options do we have to use a separate set of more detailed graphics ?

While searching the forums I've also come across the "layout by layout loading". This is how I expected construct to work but it would appear that when developing for iOS it may not be working by using layout by layout loading. Is this correct?

And if so does this mean that the app created will load all layouts into RAM at once at the beginning?

Thanks in advance.

• Simon T I don't believe there is a good way to do it. You could split into two projects but that is a lot of work. I found that one set of graphics worked well for ipad 2 and up. Ipad doesn't have much memory and I had to compromise the textures so much only to find out it doesn't have the grunt to actually run the game anyway.

• czar and Simon T

I'm interested in finding a solution to this issue too.

Simon W

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • czar thanks I thought that might be the case.

I guess the alternative is to have 2 similar layouts using a different set of gfx and detect a retina ipad.

I've not looked into this as a viable option so it may not be possible.

That kind of solution would depend on how the layout by layout load works for iOS.

I read a post from ludei that said they had not yet implemented this, but I wondered if anyone new if layout by layout loading was available at all for mobile devices through ANY service.

If its not available does this mean the app will load all layouts into RAM at once?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)