Preview Mode limited audio reproduction in IE9 and IE10

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
100+ Musical High Quality Sound Effects for your game!
  • Problem Description

____ The game that I developed has to play approximately 100 different sounds. But internet explorer 9 and 10 only plays the first 62, then is not heard no other sound, Some times it happens much before 62 audio. In Internet explorer 11 run perfect. The problem happens with "Preload Sound" in enable or disable. ____

Attach a Capx

____ Attachments ____

Description of Capx

____ Contains 100 audios and a button. Pressing the button next audio plays. The audios are appointed from 1 to 100. ____

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Run in preview mode from internet explorer 9 or 10.
    • Press the green button to go listen audios (A click on each audio).
    • When audio reaches 63 onwards is silence. Some times it happens much before 63 audio.

Observed Result

____ Plays all audio in the order given, when it reaches 63 audio is not heard. Audios from 63 onwards do not hear anything. Some times it happens much before 63 audio. ____

Expected Result

____ Play all audios, in total there are 100. ____

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: (NO)
    • FireFox: (NO)
    • Internet Explorer: (YES)

Operating System and Service Pack

____ Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 (December 2014 image, so-called Update 3) 64 bit ____

Construct 2 Version ID

____ Release 195 (64-bit) ____

• There is a bug with audio for long time.

I have had an issue with music in IE\Chrome since R164 where sometimes music will just stop playing. It is like the system just decides to stop looping the file.

Problem is that

1) rarely: it will happen very soon after starting a game 2) typically: if it happens it is usually after a very long time of game play 3) but mostly: it doesn't happen at all!

Since it is so erratic it is impossible to reproduce it in a stripped down .capx, so it is pointless to post a bug report for it.

Maybe your example can shed some light on it . . . . .

I should add that this happens:

During Preview:

IE - definitely Chrome: used to, but don't use chrome any more (to buggy and unreliable support)

Published to Windows Store.

Win 8 Win 8.1 Win 10
  • Does this still happen after exporting? We've had a couple of bug reports in the past that are related to the C2 preview server, and the problems go away when hosting on a different server.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hello. Yes also happen after exporting.

• I didn't think audio was expected to run reliably in IE?

I have this problem: https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=126489 but currently lean to just disable sound in IE, though it will hurt gameplay experience.

• This is a test with 3 animations. A unique sound is played for each animation on frame change. Animation speed can be set.

http://audio-au.bitballoon.com/

When I'm running it on PC in IE11, it seem to run stable when speeds are less than 8-10 FpS. Increasing to around 10-15, and sync is totally lost. Its like some buffer gets max'ed, and no recovery.

I'd appreciate feedback for other PC setups for various IE versions.

• I doubt if Ashley could even hope to fix the audio issues with IE.

I have a game where (aside from the issue where looping music just randomly stops as mentioned in my previous post) audio was working fine on my system running Win 8.1 32bit.

Then I built a new machine running Win8.1 64 bit, and the same game has noticeable issues with sounds randomly not playing when expected. But if I run the same game on Win10 TP 10041 everything (except looping issue) works perfectly.

So it seams to me that even if you get it to work fine on your own system, there will plenty other systems that will have issues with audio in IE of any version. It is probably a Microsoft issue that will never get sorted.

Edit: In Chrome the audio works as expected on all mentioned systems.

• IE still uses the <audio> tag for playback. Right now all other platforms support the Web Audio API, which is specifically designed for low-latency polyphonic audio playback. <audio> is a more heavyweight music player with advanced playback controls. It's not too surprising IE struggles with audio playback in some cases when it has to use <audio> and I'm not sure there's much we can do to fix it in C2.

The good news is the new IE engine on Windows 10 already supports the Web Audio API, and I've already tested it and it seems to work great, with effects and all. So I'd guess this is just a matter of needing Web Audio API support, which is on the way.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)