Poor C2 Editor Performance On Larger Projects

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser

Can confirm. If I clear my project of anything but the objects, it can still behave slow. 3-5 seconds to open a dialog the first time, then 2-3 seconds the times after that. It's not super consistent. Sometimes it works faster than others, sometimes so slow the project is unusable. At best it's been just 1 second to open a dialog.

Having another empty project open at the same time and that one will work nice and fast, even if it's open on the same instance of C2 in a tab, so it might not be about some total resources limit?

Things I've tried so far.

Capx vs Project folder - no difference

HDD vs SDD - no difference

Disabling object icons - no difference

I'll try to keep my eye on what might make it go into lag-land and report back.

Can confirm. If I clear my project of anything but the objects, it can still behave slow. 3-5 seconds to open a dialog the first time, then 2-3 seconds the times after that. It's not super consistent. Sometimes it works faster than others, sometimes so slow the project is unusable. At best it's been just 1 second to open a dialog.

Having another empty project open at the same time and that one will work nice and fast, even if it's open on the same instance of C2 in a tab, so it might not be about some total resources limit?

Things I've tried so far.

Capx vs Project folder - no difference

HDD vs SDD - no difference

Disabling object icons - no difference

I'll try to keep my eye on what might make it go into lag-land and report back.

Thanks for the details

I too tried Capx vs Project folder and found no difference. I have not tried SSD vs. HDD, so thanks for covering that one.

I am pretty baffled, that is for certain

Found a solution: not ideal and probably temporary. but switched to construct 3 and so far the lagging and freezing on my larger game has stopped (the saving takes forever though)

Found a solution: not ideal and probably temporary. but switched to construct 3 and so far the lagging and freezing on my larger game has stopped (the saving takes forever though)

Yeah a workaround for some, but no solution for others. But it is a great quick fix (I ended doing this for one of my projects recently that was on a tight timeline and could not wait for the bug fix any longer).

zenbynature, (and and )

Can you try this?

shutdown with command line using

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

When I shut down this way, I seem to have better response times. But it could be coincidental. also worth noting, even after this test the response time is still at unacceptable levels.

That's probably coincidental. I get slightly different response time by resetting the computer normally. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to flag some objects to not be shown in the project. It's not a super good solution, but with that I could work normally. My project has plenty of objects that are done and final and never need to be touched again, so those might as well be hidden.

That's probably coincidental. I get slightly different response time by resetting the computer normally. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to flag some objects to not be shown in the project. It's not a super good solution, but with that I could work normally. My project has plenty of objects that are done and final and never need to be touched again, so those might as well be hidden.

I am grasping at anything right now Using a shutdown with that command is supposed to ensure a clean shutdown. Whereas with Windows 10, using start -> restart or start -> shutdown can leave some processes open, or re-open on boot (even if fast boot is off). Or so, I read on a few tech blogs. You can also disable "resume installation of applications when I sign in" which actually means "start up applications again when I boot the computer." This is similar to what Apple has. Only some applications it works for, but I figured maybe something C2 is using gets hanged in this process.

Unfortunately, this solution did not do anything on my second computer. Still poor performance

Does changing the icon caching option in preferences affect this?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

ATM the C2 editor is taking 1-1.5 seconds to open a dialog. "Don't show unique icons" setting doesn't seem to have an impact currently. I will try again if the editor becomes extremely unresponsive, like 3-5 seconds territory.

Haven't been able to pinpoint what exactly triggers the unresponsiveness.

Like Huzba, this did not show any difference in performance. Anything else to try?

> Found a solution: not ideal and probably temporary. but switched to construct 3 and so far the lagging and freezing on my larger game has stopped (the saving takes forever though)

>

Yeah a workaround for some, but no solution for others. But it is a great quick fix (I ended doing this for one of my projects recently that was on a tight timeline and could not wait for the bug fix any longer).

zenbynature, (and and )

Can you try this?

shutdown with command line using

> C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

When I shut down this way, I seem to have better response times. But it could be coincidental. also worth noting, even after this test the response time is still at unacceptable levels.

I should have said this sooner but I restart my PC every ~30 mins ever since I've encountered this problem as a workaround. As time passes, C2 becomes more and more sluggish. After a reboot, the 5 to 10 seconds delay becomes only 3 seconds every time I restart or shutdown, not sure if it has the same effects when logging out my PC though.

Also, I have tried to convert my project to C3 before but in order for me to have done that, I had to delete my incompatible plugins.

Because of the fact that C3 isn't cross compatible with C2, it's only a one way conversion. I would say this is an impractical solution for

C3 isn't fully equipped with essential 3rd party extensions yet. It's way too soon to permanently move especially with the limited SDK of C3.

The test were conducted while the "Icon Mode" is set to "Don't show unique icons (least memory)".

I would say the matter is unrelated. There is already a huge performance loss (delay) with / without unique icons.

The performance (delay) is even worse when showing unique icons, either cached or not.

Ashley, have you tried reproducing this issue yet?

If not, any ETA on when you will?

If yes, any ideas on the issue?

Some more data:

Before rebooting the computer: 6-8 seconds to pop a dialog.

After reboot: 1-2 seconds to pop a dialog. On my Windows 7 machine, the exact same project takes 1-2 seconds first pop, instant after that.

No additional software was opened when the 6-8 seconds occured. No other performance issues exists (all resources are in high availability...the computer has literally no strain on it).

Has anyone tried out debugging C2 to see why it is lagging yet? My attempts have failed - there does not seem to be an easy way to debug C2 (none that worked for me atleast). Perhaps someone else might have better luck.

Also curious if anyone tried the new Windows update, which supposedly might give Windows worse performance.

I forgot to ask, are you running Windows 10 too?

Update: I have not found anything else yet to cause the issue (or additional data points). I am still finding I have to reboot every 30 minutes to regain *some* performance.

No update from Ashley and the team yet, not even a peep if they are looking into the bug, or when they might have time to.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)