Platformer + Jumpthru Behavior Fails to be Walked On.

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your dream action platformer game effortlessly with this template!
  • Problem Description

Platformer Object fails to walk towards 2 intersecting Jumpthru tiles. The Platformer seems to get confused when processing 2 jumpthru at the same time. There are some cases that one jumpthru tile that is above the platformer object and is overlapping is becoming solid and the other fails to be solid while the platformer is above it. Some cases also that the Jumpthru is completely ignored and causes the platformer object to go through the jumpthru.

Attach a Capx

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A ... ile%2ccapx

v2: Added Layout3 (another, more convincing situation that the fail happens).

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A ... ile%2ccapx

Description of Capx

The .Capx file is a modified version of the Platformer Example with 2 layouts with different situation that causes the error.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Pick a Layout.
    • Hit the Left Arrow Button until the platformer object overlaps with the 2 jumpthru tiles.
    • Look what happens when the platformer object overlaps with 2 intersecting jumpthru tiles.

Observed Result

The Platformer fails to work properly. Sometimes the platformer object falls or ignores the jumpthru tile or the upper jumpthru tile becomes solid.

Fail1:

Fail2:

Fail3:

Expected Result

For the Platformer object to go through properly with 2 intersecting / overlapping jumpthru tiles without error.

&

For the Platformer object to walk on 2 intersecting jumpthru tile with different angles without fail.

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: (YES)
    • FireFox: (YES)
    • Internet Explorer: (YES)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Construct 2 Version ID

Construct 2 r228 Beta Release

• As you state yourself, it is Jumpthru. Emphasize Jump.

One of the many ways to deal with that.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1SSu ... kVaeTBjX28

• 99Instances2Go - If you are above a jumpthru object, you would be able to move around above, right? That's why I call it walk on. If you tried the .capx files, you would understand what I mean.

• That second example has me pondering.

• That's what I am talking about. I am still looking for other situations that causes this fail. I am surprised that no one has found out or reported this simple problem considering that there are many Platformer users in C2.

• I have now something like: why did i not ecounter this before. Its quite obvious.

• As you state yourself, it is Jumpthru. Emphasize Jump.

One of the many ways to deal with that.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1SSu ... kVaeTBjX28

Cool workaround. But I don't think that will work with my game since unexpected jumping will cause my player's disadvantage.

• Ah dude, i did't see the problem at first (not the first time). That does not help you at those crosssections. But still feel i have to make something good again.

• Closing as won't fix: jump-thru slopes are not supported. It makes it more or less unresolvable in situations like this - the fact you can pass through a jump-thru upwards but not downwards makes it pretty much unresolvable when dealing with moving up/down a slope. Imagine making a large jump-thru that covers the entire slope - what should the engine do? Let you fall through a jump-thru (not usually allowed), or only allow you to move up, or allow you to move horizontally through the big one...? Actually I'm surprised it works with slopes at all, I thought that was something we deliberately never supported...

• Ashley - If that's the case then I'll just make it a suggestion for C3 if implementing it a different way is possible. It will be useful especially for platformer games .

• I'm not sure it is possible. How do you think the case I described should be handled? I don't think there is a clear answer.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ashley - Well I am not an expert at this and don't get why we can't fall through with sloped jumpthru but I was hoping that it would work like the solid behavior that you can walk on two intersecting solid tiles but in jumpthru you could also fall through and jump up through the tile. Regarding where the upper part is, It would be nice if the angle will be the base.

• Ah, glad I found this. I was having the same sorts of issues making a type of switchback trail using Jump-Thrus. I saw the limitation in the manual under the Jump-Thru entry but WAY too late. XD

Good to know it's not going to be changed, so I'll have to think of something else. If some new, alternate Behavior ever gets built with the magic of Jump-Thru and beauty of Slope I wouldn't complain.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)