[Bug?] Object wont evaluate against itself and differentiate

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Problem Description

Sorting logic using values doesnt work. As you cant compare a value with itself from the same object?

This logic does not work:

ObjectThing <Value1> < ObjectThing.<Value1>

<Do something>

Making it a For Each loop does not work, its not comparing itself with itself. Not even storing the value in a second value such as:

ObjectThing <Value1> < ObjectThing.<Value2>

<Do something>

Family associations this way does not work (ObjectFamilyThing.<Value>, etc)

This isnt the only game engine ive used that had this problem, so if this is on purpose or a limitation just let me know and I'll understand, it explains alot.

Attach a Capx

ObjectThing <Value1> < ObjectThing.<Value1>

<Do something>

'<' A Difference but not an equality.

Description of Capx

The logic used.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

ObjectThing <Value1> < ObjectThing.<Value1> <Do something> An object compared to itself with a greater or less value compared to another object of its same type with or without a for each loop and if it is different do something, ANYTHING.

Observed Result

Nothing. As in the logic is faulty for some reason but I cant seem to think or know why. It is of the same object class I would assume and be able to compare to itself.

Expected Result

I expect the instance to compare its own value with a list of other instances even if they are of its same class or family, and then evaluate based on its value. As it would with any other objects. But it doesnt.

Affected Browsers

All

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 8

Construct 2 Version ID

Most recent.

• You should make a capx showing what you are doing.

Post it in the how do I section with specifics on what you want to do.

Its not exactly easy to compare multiple instances, but not impossible either.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You should make a capx showing what you are doing.

Post it in the how do I section with specifics on what you want to do.

Its not exactly easy to compare multiple instances, but not impossible either.

I didnt make a capx because it literally does nothing when you compare a value's instance to a value of itself.

Meaning this does not work: ObjectSprite Value1 < ObjectSprite Value 1 <Do Something>

it wont ever do anything, even with a for each loop, even compared to other values. It wont compare against itself with other instances. This command here will not work.

ObjectSprite Value 1 less than ObjectSprite Value 1 does not work. Neither does the value changed. It wont evaluate itself.

• Yes, and since you haven't said exactly what you want to accomplish, and exactly what you are doing currently, nobody can tell you what to do.

• Yes, and since you haven't said exactly what you want to accomplish, and exactly what you are doing currently, nobody can tell you what to do.

Ok, just so were clear, the command of: itself evaluating itself, or types of itself, does not work? And is also not a bug?

• Well lets just say there's a reason that capx's are mandatory for bug reports.

That being most times it user error.

• Closing, a .capx is required, please read the bug report requirements.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)