Normalmaps with Tiled Background

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
40 ambient sound loops. A wide selection of looping ambient sounds for different locations.
  • Link to .capx file (required!):

copy.com/U6YTYl63eC2LHQzX

Steps to reproduce:

1. Apply normalmap to tiled background (with textured version beneath (similar effect experienced when applied to layer.

2. Run project.

3. Drag select both texture and normalmap.

4. Scale both in any direction.

Observed result:

1. When the project is run, the normal map looks fine, but the light result is reversed vertically. Horizontally, it can occasionally be off as well, but at least it scrolls in the correct direction. It was suggested that to resolve this, you need only turn the scale of the normal map into a negative figure and reposition it, but this is not a fix, and may require a lot of changes throughout project development.

2. When scaled, the normal map again appears to be reversed. When you increase the scale, the normal map gets smaller, and when you decrease the scale, the normal map gets larger.

3. The code for a normal map on a tiled background and a standard sprite can be the same, but generate very different results.

Expected result:

Normal map should not be inverted vertically, and should not produce unwanted results when scaling, both in the layout editor, and when a project is run.

Browsers affected:

Chrome: yes

Firefox: yes

Internet Explorer: Can't even get normal maps to work

Operating system & service pack:

Windows 7, SP1

Construct 2 version:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Just an update to say this is still happening in r145. Hoped the tweak to the tiled bg expressions meant it was resolved :(

Is it a bug? Or by design?

• I can't seem to access your .capx file. Could you try using Dropbox, Google Drive or Skydrive instead?

• Ashley

Sorry about that! I have added it to my Dropbox here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50465867/Construct/NormalMapTest.capx

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)