So I did some testing this morning and it's fairly easy to replicate the crash. I captured some footage of me using C2 and not doing anything crazy, just duplicating animations, sprites or adding new frames. The link to the playlist is below and ofcourse I could send the capx/project but the project doesnt contain much really.
I created a new project containing the following:
- Few empty layouts
- Did not add any behaviours
- Several sprites with animations, with folders and some without.
- I duplicated the sprite about 130 times. The memory usage was quite high so I actually also tested it out with just 27 sprites in the project in one of the videos.
Now to make it crash I mostly either duplicated a sprite, added or removed an animation, saved the project, repeated the steps again and it would crash. The crashes occur very regulary, i'm not talking after a hour of use, or 15 minutes but more between couple of seconds or 5 minutes.
But I also discovered a new action that would crash C2, if I repeated the steps above and just by moving the Windows Taskbar a couple of times by resizing it. I have a suspicion that something goes wrong when C2 is updating/refreshing it's interface..
- Saving the project is a step that is not really required to make C2 crash, I did several tests in which I didnt save the project. It does feel that crashes occur way quicker when saving the project and when you do one of the following actions:
- Duplicate an objects.
- Add an animation
- Import new frames to a sprite object.
- I'm trying to make C2 crash by moving the windows taskbar mostly, it seems like an important part of the puzzle. And it seems like an important part to me since at that moment I'm not actually using C2 and C2 itself is just updating it's interface.
- I also tested it out with just 20 objects in the project and with just 4 objects in a layout.
- My monitor is a 1440p display and during one of the test I set it to 1080p, thought perhaps something goes wrong with resizing the ui element, but it still crashed.
- I also did a test in which I closed the Object Bar, Layer Bar, Properties Bar and Project Bar. But by cloning an object, add an animation and moving the windows task it would crash.
- The memory usage in the test project is very high but be mindful that this also occurs when its low. In my main project the mem usage is around 150mb. With that project it can also crash quite quickly.
During the testing the following steps seem like a very consistent way of making C2 crash:
1. Clone Object Type on Layout
2. Paste it in Layout
3. Double Click new object.
4. Duplicate an animation
5. Click new animation
6. Add frames from gif or just an empty frame.
7. Close Editor
9. Move Windows Taskbar.
If there is anything else I can test let me know. Im using the Steam version of Construct2 and I wouldnt mind testing it out with the standalone version, but I don't have that version.
Here is the playlist with some footage. Skip to the end for the crash..