[C2] Auto-Saving Bug (Random Switches & Loss Of Data)

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Toggles Dials Switches and Alerts ! A foundational sound grouping of Analog type switches and Steampunk effects
  • Problem Description

Construct 2 seems to have an internal issue which leads to some kind of project corruption.

From autosave to autosave I noticed that C2 creates more and more autosave files without overriding the main savefile. When closing and reloading a project all progress from the previous session is either lost or inside one of the many autosave files.

Attach a Capx

Not relevant but if requested, I could send one of the broken projects using a PM.

Steps to Reproduce

Unknown!

Observed Result

C2 seems to have an internal issue with autosaving larger projects which leads to corrupted saving and the loss of all changes made within the session.

Expected Result

Autosaving should work fine and focus on overriding the main capx instead of creating more and more useless autosave files.

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 with latest updates and up to date drivers.

Construct 2 Version ID

C2 version 230+ Steam release. [Personal Edition]

• I'm currently experiencing this. I have a days worth of unsaved work open on Construct 2. It does not save even though I make a change and it gives a progress bar, but the date and time don't change on the .caproj file. It's a fairly large project also. I've been working on my game for half a year now. I've experienced this before and I lost a week worth of work. Last time I thought it was hardware failure, but I've since switched computers and now it happened again.

In short: Construct2 looks like it's saving, but there's no changes to the project files. I also get these capx.capx.capx files.

Possible cause:

My computer was resuming from sleep when the "autosave" popped up on construct.

Any interruption to "autosave" corrupts the project and it is unable to save from this point on.

• I've experimented it too, but I am unable to reproduce it.

• I've experimented it too, but I am unable to reproduce it.

From my tests done about a year ago this issue was caused by interrupting the auto-saving process.

However trying to interrupt the process requires external tools or one of the methods we've already mentioned here.

Just as a side note, I took a weekend off to create a new project file and transfer over all of my progress into that one. So far I didn't experience any issues with the new project file and I hope that this did the trick for me.

Although that doesn't mean that this bug is "fixed", this issue still exists somewhere in the code and will most-likly be fixed with the release of C3 I guess.

• ive been experiencing this issue for the last 3 or 4 weeks....

only started after use of an existing "working" file that work was lost on when c2 crashed on exporting ... i removed the extension from the backup file...got my work back, then the weirdness started to happen.

personally i have seen this happen ONLY on files that i have had to recover (removing the backup Extension)

but a co-worker started seeing the issue when she was trying to cloud sync to google drive.

i constantly work from files on dropBox as well as google drive and havent seen this happen yet....

im sure this doesnt help at all .... but figured i would chime in with my experiences and findings

i

• ive been experiencing this issue for the last 3 or 4 weeks....

only started after use of an existing "working" file that work was lost on when c2 crashed on exporting ... i removed the extension from the backup file...got my work back, then the weirdness started to happen.

I highly recommend to create a new projectfile and use the .capx format instead of a folder before it's too late!

As I mentioned before, that did the trick for me and since then I didn't have to deal with this loss of data thing ever again.

Here are some things that you could do, to avoid this bug from ruining your progress:

> Pause any cloud-sync related programs while you work on your project and sync when you're done

> Disable Windows automatic standby mode

> Use a compressed capx instead of a project folder

If you want to be on the totally safe side just as I am, fully disable autosaving and do a "reminder" system.

I've added a global event which basically shows an alert to "Save your project!" after the window has been closed.

Even though it seems to work fine, I'm not going to trust autosaving ever again unless something is being done about it.

• > ive been experiencing this issue for the last 3 or 4 weeks....

> only started after use of an existing "working" file that work was lost on when c2 crashed on exporting ... i removed the extension from the backup file...got my work back, then the weirdness started to happen.

> ...

>

I highly recommend to create a new projectfile and use the .capx format instead of a folder before it's too late!

As I mentioned before, that did the trick for me and since then I didn't have to deal with this loss of data bullsh** ever again. (Sorry for cursing but it's really frustrating...)

Here are some things that you could do, to avoid this bug from ruining your progress:

> Pause any cloud-sync related programs while you work on your project and sync when you're done

> Disable Windows automatic standby mode

> Use a compressed capx instead of a project folder

If you want to be on the totally safe side just as I am, fully disable autosaving and do a "reminder" system.

I've added a global event which basically shows an alert to "Save your project!" after the window has been closed.

Even though it seems to work fine, I'm not going to trust autosaving ever again unless something is being done about it.

already there! ... fixed the file and turned off the autosave and havent had an issue since!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I highly recommend to create a new projectfile and use the .capx format instead of a folder before it's too late!

Unfortunately, there is another bug/issue that can cause capx files being corrupted. I think it is a different issue since it isn't related to saving but rather running a preview, but just want to mention it, since I constantly come across it. I use the .caproj format to prevent it from losing my work.

• I too am experiencing my projects not saving. The auto save function is working just fine and that is how I am accessing my projects. I merely rename the backup file to the regular file's name and continue from that. This is a very recent issue that has started approximately last week or so.

Thank Scirra for such a reliable autosave. I would have jsut died a long time ago with out it!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)