BUG With External Monitors

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Match same tiles with each other as fast as you can and earn more score during a limited time!
  • Problem Description

When I run external monitors, and use Construct on the secondary monitor, dialogs are lost. Resetting dialogs does not help as they get lost again.

For example, if I edit text, I see the dialog, I save. I open another dialog, and it is either on a different screen, or gone altogether. It is rather annoying as I can never tell where the dialog will open. Also, when it goes off screen completely, I have no real way of closing the dialog, or closing construct. I have to force close construct, losing my work.

The only workaround I have found is setting the external monitor as my MAIN monitor.

I have this issue with my SP3, HP Probook, and Samsung Ativ.

I am not sure if it matters, but I am using a USB Monitor Adapter.

Attach a Capx

No CAPX required, it is not CAPX required

Description of Capx

n/a

Steps to Reproduce Bug

Simply repeatedly opening dialogs. Sometimes they change screens, sometimes they get completely lost.

Observed Result

Dialog has unexpected results. Appears offscreen sometimes and is not recoverable.

Expected Result

Dialog appears in the same spot each time.

Affected Browsers

Not a browser issue

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 10

Construct 2 Version ID

221, although I have had this issue as far as I can remember. I know at least since around r190 I have had it.

• I develop Construct 2 on a dual-monitor system and have never seen such issues. Can you provide a series of steps to follow that reliably reproduces this?

• I develop Construct 2 on a dual-monitor system and have never seen such issues. Can you provide a series of steps to follow that reliably reproduces this?

I use a tri monitor setup usually like so:

|.....monitor A....||...monitor b...|

..............|...monitor c....|.............

So monitor C is below A and B, and in the middle. I use Construct on monitor B. Dialogs are getting lost in the space to the right of Monitor C.

No other applications do this that I have noticed. I have to do a series of monitor adjustments (switching main monitor) and resetting dialogs in Construct for it to work right...even then it is finicky. I cannot reproduce it constantly...but when it occurs, I end up having to force shut down construct (end task) because I cannot see the dialog open...and I cannot save with a dialog open.

• I think what he means Ashley is if you put the C2 main form on a monitor that isn't the #1 monitor, all of the dialog boxes will still pop up on the #1 monitor. Even if you drag the dialog boxes over to say monitor #2, when they pop up again, they're back on monitor #1.

Not sure I'd call it a bug, but it's a minor nuisance when you're working with dual monitors and have C2 on anything but the #1 monitor.

I'm not sure what language you write C2 in but in Delphi for example, you can set dialog boxes to automatically pop up at the main form center. I then have a component that stores the screen location of those dialog boxes in the registry so the next time the user pops them up, they're at the spot where the user placed them.

I'm sure you're aware that even then other problems arise, like when the user puts everything on monitor #2 and then disconnects monitor #2 and restarts the main program. The dialog boxes can end up completely off screen.

• Fengist put words to what I experienced better than I

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I also have the same problem at my office, i have dual monitor, if i put construct 2 on monitor 1 all the dialog boxes stay in the monitor 2 ( principal) so i have to move all the dialog boxes to the monitor 1 every time i start construct 2.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)