How do I run my game on Steam Deck? (crashes) - UPDATE: SOLVED

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • NWjs.UserFolder should already contain "/" at the end. We use this path on Linux:

NWjs.UserFolder & "YourGameName"

NWjs.UserFolder & "YourGameName" & "/save01.dat"

• No offense, but reporting C3 issues throughout the past ~6 years of development has felt like pissing in the wind a lot of the time. It's pretty draining.

I'm planning to put a bounty on the issue eventually. While it would be nice if the Deck worked, it's not the primary focus.

One thing to note - it doesn't seem to be what is in the game that causes issues. The game simply does not launch at all. There's something before it even accesses the game code that's preventing it from opening.

Sorry for late reply. Yes, you can. You make two different depots - one for linux and one for windows. And then make the build available only for beta-testing (by password). Even if it will be hard to understand how - upload two new builds into beta-testing - Windows AND linux. There is no problem in that

• NWjs.UserFolder should already contain "/" at the end. We use this path on Linux:

NWjs.UserFolder & "YourGameName"

NWjs.UserFolder & "YourGameName" & "/save01.dat"

Interesting thanks!

I think I tried something like that a while ago, but it wasn't creating the folders well. Does it make the game name folder for you? And it literally called the file name "folder/save.dat" or maybe it's just because I used backwards slashes.

• alastair You need to create the folder first. Check if NWjs.UserFolder & "YourGameName" path exists. If not - create the folder. After that you should be able to write files to it.

• Hi The_GD Interinactive dop2000

I'm having same problem here and maybe some of you know the solution:

The problem is on SteamDeck (probably SteamOS/Linux).

I'm using Greenworks 0.82, NW.js 0.82 and Steamworks SDK 1.58, and when I launch the game through Steam app (Both Gaming mode or Desktop mode) only appears a NW.js screen.

But otherwise, on Desktop mode, if I go to the folder where Steam installs the game (usually “Common” folder) and click on the executable directly, the game runs perfect, even Steam achievements work (but not the overlay).

Of course I added the 2 files for Linux 64 “libsdkencryptedappticket.so” and “libsteam_api.so”. Also I tried to put them inside the package.nw, outside in the main folder, inside Lib folder... All places, but nothing works.

Is there any other file to add? Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help.

• Hi The_GD Interinactive dop2000

I'm having same problem here and maybe some of you know the solution:

The problem is on SteamDeck (probably SteamOS/Linux).

I'm using Greenworks 0.82, NW.js 0.82 and Steamworks SDK 1.58, and when I launch the game through Steam app (Both Gaming mode or Desktop mode) only appears a NW.js screen.

But otherwise, on Desktop mode, if I go to the folder where Steam installs the game (usually “Common” folder) and click on the executable directly, the game runs perfect, even Steam achievements work (but not the overlay).

Of course I added the 2 files for Linux 64 “libsdkencryptedappticket.so” and “libsteam_api.so”. Also I tried to put them inside the package.nw, outside in the main folder, inside Lib folder... All places, but nothing works.

Is there any other file to add? Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help.

Yes, there is. You need to create .txt file, call it "steam_appid.txt", add your steam game id number (7-digit number, can be found on steamworks parter site right next to your game's name) and put it in the same folder as your app file.

Let me know if that helped!

PS: I've mentioned it in my post above, you might have missed it.

• I never managed to get this to work. Apparently my demo and test version worked fine, but the full version has never worked. I imagine I've done a setting wrong somewhere, but I can't find it for the life of me, and Steam won't help.

• > Hi The_GD Interinactive dop2000

>

> I'm having same problem here and maybe some of you know the solution:

>

>

> The problem is on SteamDeck (probably SteamOS/Linux).

>

> I'm using Greenworks 0.82, NW.js 0.82 and Steamworks SDK 1.58, and when I launch the game through Steam app (Both Gaming mode or Desktop mode) only appears a NW.js screen.

>

> But otherwise, on Desktop mode, if I go to the folder where Steam installs the game (usually “Common” folder) and click on the executable directly, the game runs perfect, even Steam achievements work (but not the overlay).

>

> Of course I added the 2 files for Linux 64 “libsdkencryptedappticket.so” and “libsteam_api.so”. Also I tried to put them inside the package.nw, outside in the main folder, inside Lib folder... All places, but nothing works.

>

>

> Is there any other file to add? Am I missing something?

>

>

> Thank you for your help.

Yes, there is. You need to create .txt file, call it "steam_appid.txt", add your steam game id number (7-digit number, can be found on steamworks parter site right next to your game's name) and put it in the same folder as your app file.

Let me know if that helped!

PS: I've mentioned it in my post above, you might have missed it.

Hi again, thanks for your reply :-)

Of course, I have already the "steam_appid.txt". Didn't mention it because I thought it was obvius, sorry. In fact, as I said on windows everything runs perfect.

So, must be another problem. The weirdest thing, as I said, is that when I click directly on SteamDeck (Desktop mode) on the executable file (where Steam installs it, usually "Common" folder) it works. The error (NW.js screen) comes only when I try to start the game from Steam app.

And even weirdest: The same executable file that works clicking directly on the folder, gives me the error too if I create a direct acces on Steam (like a Non-Steam app). Crazy...

• > > Hi The_GD Interinactive dop2000

> >

> > I'm having same problem here and maybe some of you know the solution:

> >

> >

> > The problem is on SteamDeck (probably SteamOS/Linux).

> >

> > I'm using Greenworks 0.82, NW.js 0.82 and Steamworks SDK 1.58, and when I launch the game through Steam app (Both Gaming mode or Desktop mode) only appears a NW.js screen.

> >

> > But otherwise, on Desktop mode, if I go to the folder where Steam installs the game (usually “Common” folder) and click on the executable directly, the game runs perfect, even Steam achievements work (but not the overlay).

> >

> > Of course I added the 2 files for Linux 64 “libsdkencryptedappticket.so” and “libsteam_api.so”. Also I tried to put them inside the package.nw, outside in the main folder, inside Lib folder... All places, but nothing works.

> >

> >

> > Is there any other file to add? Am I missing something?

> >

> >

> > Thank you for your help.

>

> Yes, there is. You need to create .txt file, call it "steam_appid.txt", add your steam game id number (7-digit number, can be found on steamworks parter site right next to your game's name) and put it in the same folder as your app file.

> Let me know if that helped!

>

>

>

>

> PS: I've mentioned it in my post above, you might have missed it.

Hi again, thanks for your reply :-)

Of course, I have already the "steam_appid.txt". Didn't mention it because I thought it was obvius, sorry. In fact, as I said on windows everything runs perfect.

So, must be another problem. The weirdest thing, as I said, is that when I click directly on SteamDeck (Desktop mode) on the executable file (where Steam installs it, usually "Common" folder) it works. The error (NW.js screen) comes only when I try to start the game from Steam app.

And even weirdest: The same executable file that works clicking directly on the folder, gives me the error too if I create a direct acces on Steam (like a Non-Steam app). Crazy...

A friend of mine had a similar issue (where the game would launch in Desktop mode but refused to do it in Steamdeck mode). Thats more likely a Steam partners site issue. Check that you specifically created new depot for Linux build, set all the path for the launch file the right way and that each package (in the Associated Packages & DLC menu) has both depots included.

• Hi again, thanks for your reply The_GD ;-)

Well, everything on Steamworks was well configured as you said, but what I discover now is also weird:

If I don't use the "Package asstes" option to compile the game, it works! BUT... (here is the weird thing) it works only once! I mean: I start Steam, launch the game and the game runs, but if I exit the game and try to launch it again I get a black screen forever. So I have to restart Steam Deck (not only Steam app) and it works again... only once. Suuuper weird.

And this happen from both (Game mode and Desktop mode).

• Hi again, thanks for your reply The_GD ;-)

Well, everything on Steamworks was well configured as you said, but what I discover now is also weird:

If I don't use the "Package asstes" option to compile the game, it works! BUT... (here is the weird thing) it works only once! I mean: I start Steam, launch the game and the game runs, but if I exit the game and try to launch it again I get a black screen forever. So I have to restart Steam Deck (not only Steam app) and it works again... only once. Suuuper weird.

And this happen from both (Game mode and Desktop mode).

Yeah, sorry, haven't seen issues like that before. Hope someone else might come by and assist you!

• Personally I use nwjs 71, haven't tried the newest ones. It works fine for me on Deck, but I haven't actually got the game on Store yet.

Did you read the guide for exporting game to Steam and Steam Deck?

sleepingpanda.games/blog/how-to-export-your-construct-3-game-for-steam-and-steamdeck

(Ps. it can be helpful to not quote the entire reply, because it takes up quite a lot of space, especially when their post is directly above your own)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah, sorry, haven't seen issues like that before. Hope someone else might come by and assist you!

No worries. Thank you anyway, my friend ;-)

• Personally I use nwjs 71, haven't tried the newest ones. It works fine for me on Deck, but I haven't actually got the game on Store yet.

Did you read the guide for exporting game to Steam and Steam Deck?

https://www.sleepingpanda.games/blog/how-to-export-your-construct-3-game-for-steam-and-steamdeck/

(Ps. it can be helpful to not quote the entire reply, because it takes up quite a lot of space, especially when their post is directly above your own)

I know this tutorial, but is nothing to do, my friend.

To play on SteamDeck is not the problem. My game runs perfect on Deck and also achievements work well. The problem is about launching the game from Steam App on Deck (SteamOS). If you never published your games on Steam for Deck (SteamOS/Linux) you don't have this problem, no worries.

Otherwise, I don't recommend you to follow that tutorial now. The process described uses old verions of everything (probably written before GreenWorks 0.82) and old steps that could cause you some problems today if you want to use updated versions and to publish on Steam.

Instead, I recommend to use last version of GreenWorks (0.82), made with SteamOS and Steam Deck on mind. It even includes some new C3 conditions specially for SteamDeck. Not perfect, but definitely the best option now.

• ------

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)